1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

it's 'national autism week'...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

He takes a couple medicines that generally calm him during the day but they obviously do not keep him from acting out when he is upset over/struggling with a change. I don’t want to essentially sedate him if so can help it, but I can’t have him running outside oblivious to his surroundings and hurting people.

Times like these I can’t help but wonder what awaits him in the future ... and I’m terrified.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a pretty bad day. Try not to despair or give in to fear.

You both have a long lives to live, and research into autism treatment and management is a huge growth area in medical research. There are going to be more and better medicines and therapies very soon, and one right after another. A lot of what's being prescribed now came online in just the last ten years. So try to stay optimistic. Gene therapy is going to be huge.

In the meantime, he may just need a small adjustment to his current prescriptions. Kids grow so fast, and go through such rapid changes of body chemistry, it's hard to keep them in the sweet spot for prescription meds.

We don't want him sedated, but there are probably some steps we can take an after an episode like this. Maybe a visit to the doctor to make sure his current dosages are correct. If not, then maybe it's simple adjustment. If we're at the maximum limit for the efficacy of one drug, maybe it's time to consider another.

There are so many variables, especially with SSRIs, it takes a lot of patience to figure what works and what doesn't. And life is underway, full speed, that whole time. It all must seem impossible.

Here's a 2015 summary of what's currently in use. I'm sure you have all these committed pretty well to memory, but it might be worth reading through in advance of your next MD visit. Pharmacological Therapies for Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Review

Anyway, I'm happy to contribute research to the extent possible, or just moral support.

Again, hang in there.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link. I will be calling the doctor who prescribed his adderall in the morning to get his thoughts on what might be a short-term answer.

And then heading to Home Depot to update door locks around the house.

Already rearranged living room furniture to make it harder for him to undo the chain lock on the front door.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

How's the sitter doing?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Did your son meet the sitter beforehand, or was it the first time for both of them?

What we used to do with transitioning the kids to a new sitter was invite them over for a night with us home so everyone could meet and get comfortable.

Then the second time, we'd tell them the sitter was coming over and we were going out. When they arrived, we stayed a while just to make sure things were fine, then just went a couple minutes' drive away to eat a fairly quick meal and come home. We didn't want to overwhelm either the sitter or the kids.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Her finger was only sprained. She has a great attitude. Hopefully my son will not suck it out of her.

Iron_chet, Slacker and HC like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I send the love of the household to all here. Hope you're thriving.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thinking of everyone on the thread this morning, and sending the love of this household. Patience.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I hope everyone is thriving. I send the love of the household.

Baron Scicluna and Iron_chet like this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

FFS canine autism. These fucking people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.