1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

it's 'national autism week'...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Been there.

It pisses me off/breaks my heart when something like that happens to my son. I understand the reality in certain situations, but the feeling that someone is giving up on your child is the worst.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can only imagine. I haven't talked to my buddy about it yet. His wife posted on Facebook. She is still at pissed off/brokenhearted. She's not ready for accepting it as reality just yet.

It sucks that y'all have to go through stuff like that.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Accepting this instance as reality or that her son is autistic?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Accepting this instance and situations like it.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

OK. I ask because I've seen what happens in the other situation. A different form of heartbreaking.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

As an update, we tried to cut his hair and he was too strong. I couldn’t figure out a way to restrain him that didn’t risk hurting him. So for now I’ve been trimming the edges while he is asleep so at least it isn’t too sloppy looking.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Are the kids triggered by the scissors or by something else?

8. RickStain

Depends. And you can't exactly ask them most of the time, so who knows really. Might be they never grow out of the infant thing where they feel like it's cutting off a piece of them. Maybe they just don't like the sensation of something in their hair.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It's usually a sensory issue. And when you try to restrain them, that just makes it worse.

My son LOVES playing with scissors at home -- to my dismay and that of the occasional toy he will cut up -- but he's never liked haircuts. Once the barber was able to follow him around and cut his hair as he played with trains, but now we just trim it every once in a while to prevent it from getting out of hand because he had a pretty severe meltdown the last time he went to the barber (which specializes in kids with special needs).

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I send everyone on this the thread the love of the household.

Any chance the boys would put up with electric clippers instead of scissors? Or would that be worse?

11. RickStain

Can't speak for anyone else, but electric clippers are way worse for mine. Take everything else he hates and add in a sharp buzzing noise.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just don't let older brother Wally do the cutting.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.