1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

it's 'national autism week'...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No kidding. Me, too. I can't imagine dealing with potty-training issues when children are school aged, unless there's some physical/physiological problem. Parenting is a tough job, anyway, but we apparently have some of the best, most admirable of parents on here.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yes. Daughter is not special needs, just a typical 3-year-old, which is just a different type of challenge. My days are never boring. :) The school is being a little harsh, especially since there was no warning, but we’ll show them!

She’s doing really well so far. #fingerscrossed

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not really hard to imagine how to deal with. He shits, you clean it up, you put on a fresh diaper. It's not like there's a lot of other options.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about changing diapers, really.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Single parents are America’s real heroes. :)

HC likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do your best today, everyone. Good luck.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Away from home and missing my boys.

For the parents of special needs kids...

My autistic son is 11 and in Grade 6. He's verbal and understanding of lots of things, so I know we have it easier than many of you, but he's often been tricky at school, especially with transitions. This year started really badly, but he's turned it around and is having his best year ever. Maybe one or two big meltdowns and nothing like those weekly terrible, heart-sinking calls from school that he's having a "bad day." He's getting older and that helps, obviously, and he has a great teacher this year. But one thing that's working for us that you might want to try:

He is awarded "stars" every day for good behaviour—like, an easy transition between subjects, or participating in gym class. If his teacher gives him three stars, that's a great day—that's the most he can get. He comes out of school and hollers "three-star day!" and we all cheer. But we also have a system of tangible rewards in place. Like a lot of autistic kids, he started out train crazy, and now is Lego crazy. For every five three-star days, he gets a Lego mini figurine. (He got one yesterday, which is why I'm thinking about this.) For every 20, he gets a small Lego set. And for every 50, he gets a big one. He can understand the system, and his love for Lego, which is intense, seems to supersede his less desirable instincts. I have no doubt that it's having a huge effect. He's racking up three-star days like a champ, and it's been months since we've had a serious incident. I sometimes find myself wishing we'd started this years ago.

It might not work for every kid, but it might work for yours. I've never been so happy to go bankrupt at the Lego store.

Dog8Cats and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Good luck. I echo those who believe it's a little harsh to threaten to evict a 3-year-old who isn't potty-trained. Mine didn't get it until her 3s (believe she was three and three months, FWIW). But after a rough, tantrum-filled first day, she took to it quickly. Hopefully the story is the same for you.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Doing our best again today. Let's find our encouragements where we can.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Here we go.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Have a great Sunday.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I heard a story yesterday that made me think of this thread. A buddy of mine has a young son who is autistic. The place they took him to get his hair cut just told them he can't come back. In fact, they gave up halfway through his most recent attempt at a cut. Of course, I wasn't there and I'm sure the kid was giving them all kind of trouble, but that's still has to leave everybody feeling terrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.