1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

it's 'national autism week'...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to @QYFW's post, not yours, shottie.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, at least you know who I ignore now.

Sincere apologies, BYH.

typefitter likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Show your work, or get the fuck out. Your anecdotal *beliefs* don't mean shit.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Apologizing in advance if that was meant for blue font.

But if you don't think that is a common problem, then you're either being obtuse or just want to stir the shit.

Jesus, what do you think was happening throughout the last two centuries with families nodding and smiling about "creepy Uncle Jerry"?

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Walked into preschool to pick up my daughter yesterday and was met with notice she was getting kicked out of school if she wasn’t potty trained by end of month. :( So I’ll be spending most of my time in the bathroom the next couple of weeks if anyone needs to reach me.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good luck, brother.

I'll hold a positive thought.

QYFW likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That seems ... excessive.

When my son was in day care, they insisted they would help the kids potty-train if needed, but only after the kid had been accident-free for 1 week.

In other words, they’d only help potty-train kids who were already potty-trained.

Dog8Cats and YankeeFan like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Make it a great day, parents.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This might be the time for you to unleash your inner Social Justice Warrior and tell them that you and your friends are going to,publicize that they kicked out your special needs daughter for not being potty trained. Tell them that you will be giving them terrible online reviews, and that you may contact some local TV news stations.

Also, are they a public school or a private one? If they're public, kicking her out may violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. If they're private, do they receive public money for tuition? Maybe that also plays into the ADA.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is @QYFW's post to respond to, but his son has special needs. I don't believe his daughter does.

I have wondered about the whole potty training thing, however. Our kids went to a preschool where all children had to be potty trained. It was pretty close on my autistic son, but we got him there. I do wonder if push had come to shove, how it would have played out.

I also understand why preschool staff (and grade school teachers) feel like they shouldn't be changing diapers.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I understand schools having that rule for non-special needs kids, but for special-needs kids, they should be making some sort of accommodations.

My youngest son wasn't really fully potty-trained until he was 8. He was, and still is in, special needs classrooms. They worked with him on going to the bathroom at regular times, but he still had frequent accidents. Even when he was 10, a couple of times a year, he'd still wet himself in school. They'd keep some changes of clothes for him.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

After two days on my weekend with my non-special-needs toddler, I can’t imagine how you guys deal with similar challenges on such an elevated level.

I tip my hat to you and genuinely admire you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.