1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 'Magic': Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band back with album and tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bruce is in bed with the NJSEA, which runs The Meadowlands. They basically let him have the keys to the place. A friend involved somewhat in the Bruce world said that no musician has ever made as much money on a set of shows as Bruce did for the 10 outdoor shows in 2003. For those shows, Bruce paid all of the costs (security, power, insurance) and cut the NJSEA a small piece of the parking and concessions. In return, Bruce got to keep everything else in th way of revenues.

So, he's not going to play for the competition.

I wouldn't be shocked if Bruce made a cameo at the first JBJ show. JBJ may not be best friends with Bruce, but he's got a sense of history.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bruce apparently won't be anywhere near New Jersey in late Oct. when Bon Jovi opens The Rock.

Today's concert "leaks" are Oct. 26 in Oakland (according to Pollstar) and Nov. 2 in St. Paul (which popped up briefly on Ticketmaster this morning with an on sale date of Saturday, Aug. 25).
    And the St. Paul tricket prices were listed as $85 and $55, about the same as the prices for stadium shows in NJ and NY in 2003.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Re: It's 'Magic': Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band back with album and to

Bruce however will be in NJ in early October. Rumored dates are in the first week of October the Meadowlands; MSG in mid-October. Can't recall exactly what they are right now. However there's also talk the tour schedule is in flux right now so those dates are subject to change.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Re: It's 'Magic': Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band back with album and to

The first single - "Radio Nowhere" - from 'Magic' has leaked onto the internet. A fan has posted a copy of it here:
    Radio Nowhere

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thansk for positng that. I really like it, my fave song from him in ages.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, esj. excellent!! ;D ;D ;D

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

God, I love this song. I don't even care that the lyrics are pretty basic, because the whole thing just works.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Meh.

Overproduced -- I want to hear the lyrics and not the fuzzy guitar in the front of the mix. The sax break seems pasted in, as if to justify Big Man's trip to Atlanta.

The song got a little better on repeated listenting. I think that it will be way better live (but when isn't that true?) -- I can imagine it as the opening song, or maybe in the No. 2 slot like Lonesome Day.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

disagree

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Talking to my brother (as big a Springsteen freak or bigger than I am), before even reading the "insider leaks" about "Radio Nowhere," I bet him it would be a loud, grungy, garage-band type of song with plenty of distorted guitars.

Basically, Bruce had to do it to dispel the image of "Hootenanny Bruce." The banjos are going back in the closet for a while. I'm sure some of the other songs on the album are folk/country influenced, but it was almost unavoidable the lead single was going to be a loud guitar song.

11. I'm sorry, but listening to that song makes me realize (again) that Clarence Clemons is a mediocre sax player who got very, very lucky.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

them thar's fightin' words!!!

although most sax players are well on the downside in their 60s. he'll always be beloved, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted