1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 'Magic': Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band back with album and tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

more details here:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/16/bruce-springsteens-magic-exclusive-details-on-the-boss-new-e-street-band-lp/

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If the album sounds the way Landau claims it does, then it will be fantastic.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Awesome!

5. Starman

Re: It's 'Magic': Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band back with album and to

Well, yeah. I wouldn't expect Landau to come out and say, "ahhhh, it sucks." ::) ::)

I am glad Bruce has put away the washboard, kazoos and accordions to record what I would guess would be a proper ESB finale.

Spending a couple years flogging the music of Pete Seeger always seemed weird to me, since in just about every quantifiable way, Seeger is far inferior to Springsteen himself. It would have been like Paul McCartney spending two years doing concerts to perform the music of Eric Carmen.

6. Re: It's 'Magic': Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band back with album and to

I'm a Jersey guy and a big Springsteen fan, but put the pipe down, Starman. Springsteen is a great musician; Seeger is a great musician (one of the kings of folk music and leading ambassadors for world music) and a great advocate for freedom of speech, human rights and the environment.

7. MT --
    I watched the Dublin concert on PBS last weekend. It was good, but Bruce's vocals were way over the top for most of that material, and the preacher-man stage thing is as old with him as it is with Robin Williams. That said, the Seeger project was worth his time, even if it did seem to me that he was trying to glom onto the "O, Brother" roots-music bandwagon and, reaching back farther, to find his way to Music From Big Pink.-

8. Starman

And Bruce Springsteen was all of that himself, 20 years ago.

Seeger is great, but a pale imitation of Woody Guthrie. Not that he isn't worthy of a few cover songs or even a quickie cover CD, but spending two years of your career on an artistic detour paying tribute to a guy who isn't 1/10th as influential, significant or successful as you are yourself always seemed a weird decision to me. I guess Bruce reached the point in his career where he just figured, "fuck it, I can do whatever I want."

9. Re: It's 'Magic': Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band back with album and to

I bought the disc of the Dublin concert, and was a bit disappointed in it, mostly because I think the band tightened up *too* much during the Seeger Sessions tour. I prefer the live-in-studio original album far more, which had more of a raw, just-this-side-of-off-the-rails quality to it.

But I never did reply to the original thread: awesome news. I'll be getting the disc on its release day and getting to as many of the shows as I can.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm with ya on the previous points, but he reached that point awhile ago. Nebraska ... Ghost of Tom Joad ... even Tunnel of Love to an extent.

My wife and I were at a club to hear someone else during the Tom Joad days and Springsteen got asked onstage and played five or six songs, rock covers, not his stuff. And I thought he's earned to right to do whatever he wants, but why a first-rate rocker would want to go on these bleak acoustic tangents is beyond me. I guess he does what pleases him. I admire that, but I could live without it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree with you about the Dublin concert, but, as Frank points out, the "roots music" thing has been going on for Bruce since long before the "O' Brother" album became a phenomenon.

All that said, can I add to the chorus of Woo-Hoo's?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

we interrupt my brief vacation to report well-placed sources have indicated that dates already are reserved for November at both Madison Square Garden and Continental Arena.

Draft saved Draft deleted