1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's like people don't know how to drive ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've seen the same problems here. The fools running around and not slowing down for anything in large pickups and SUVs. Sure, they can plow through anything, but they haven't a prayer of stopping if anything happens.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

JB, thank you for saying exactly what most of us wanted to say about the dumbasses in SUV's and semis.

Just because you have a 4x4 and blow past everyone doesn't mean that you can stop your rig or SUV at the stop of a dime. Slow the hell down, Mario fucking Andretti. You idiots are the main reasons why there are pileups and wipeouts on the highways. I was driving on one of the main drags in Moline and this pickup truck comes peeling off and blows right past me. Thank goodness the cops were out in droves to help, or in that case pull over, motorists.

I'm visiting family in the Quad Cities where I'm writing from right now. We've gotten about 3-5 inches, but the roads were cleared up by mid-morning and is now looking good. I wished I could say that about Cedar Rapids. The City of Five Seasons got eight inches, Anamosa reported with 10. It's going to be a tough task driving back to DSM on I-80.

Oh, add this as another thing I wish people would listen and take to heart: If the authorities tell you "travel is not reccommended" the translation of that is:

get off the fucking highway. You have no business trying to drive in this mess, I don't care how good of a driver you are. I know it's Christmas and you're trying to get to your destination, but is it worth getting killed or wiping out rushing to see relatives so you can cram in a few extra days around Christmas?

They can wait and you can be patient and wait the storm out.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

You never seen 30-car pileups due to the weather in the northwest. That is all.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The reason there aren't more multi-car pileups in Northeastern snowstorms is simple. There are so many cars on the road, speeds in snow immediately descend to zero to 2 mph for all concerned.
    See: The 5 hour drive I had to go 15 miles on Route 128 in a snowstorm two weeks ago.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When I was much younger I dated a girl in Double J country--which means it snows every day from November until early April. Legendary snowstorms.

Being 20 something and stupid and all I used to go up there no matter what the weather was like. Often I'd get "storm stayed" (a local expression) in a town and I'd wait until the snowplough showed up so I could follow him to the next town. Got caught in whiteouts that scared the everliving shit out of me.

And yes, "Travel is not recommended" DOES mean stay the fuck off the roads.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about main streets than highways in snowstorms and more to the point, after the storms. The streets are narrower and for some reason, people tend to be more aggressive when pulling out of side streets after snowstorms.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

snowplough?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd prefer every inch of snow that falls in Boston, Denver, Tahoe or Cleveland if meant avoiding the ice storms that hit down here.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As long as they don't beat them into snowswords ....

10. A lot of those wrecks happen because people pull over onto the shoulder, especially beneath the overpasses until the storm goes away. Good in theory, but congratulations, you've now become vehicle No. 1 on the accident report.

Someone always veers into those cars - sometimes as many as 10 parked along the shoulder. Either someone's not paying attention or someone doesn't see them when he swerves to avoid the guy in front of him who slammed on his brake because there's a buncha cars on the side of the road.

Just keep driving, with your blinkers on if you have to, until you get to the next exit.

And I agree about the authority warnings to stay off the road - except I've never had that luxury. I'd always been required to be out on the road to report on the conditions.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a Canuck thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted