1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's like people don't know how to drive ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Dec 23, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

... during a storm. Every time you read about the bad storm, you always see these 30-car pileups. You don't see that here in the Northeast.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071223/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm

Why do other places like north Texas and Kansas and some places in the Midwest have these 25 and 30-car pileups on the interstate when the weather is shitty?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It happens in the Northeast, too, pretty frequently on I-80 in Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Usually happens around the Blue Mountain Tunnel on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, forcing a detour that tacks on 60 miles, at least, to your trip.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

the reason it happens in north texas is because of the bad freezing rain they get. and they can't drive here.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

One of my coworkers slid off the interstate yesterday and hit the median. Said the road was fine until a small patch of snow/ice screwed him up. When you get blowing snow and drifts, that shit happens. Plenty of good road, but one small patch of bad road can really mess things up.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If there are 30-car pileups in Kansas that's a sign the weather is incredibly bad. People there have seen winter storms before and can generally handle them. It's not like the Carolina's where the moment a flake hits the ground people start slamming into each other.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've noticed during my recent road trips in winter storms that the biggest dumbasses on the road are either driving a.) SUVs or b.) semis. Yes, your big vehicles can plow through the snow. But you can't stop any better than we can in our cars.

We had a 15-car pileup on one of our area highways today. Had five inches of snow last night, combined with 40 mph winds today. It's a whiteout out in the rural areas right now.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The worst is the first snowfall of the year when collective amnesia kicks in and people literally forget how to drive in snow. You have to slow down, leave more room between cars and know what's happening half a kilometer down the road.

There are two types of bad drivers in these storms; 1) those (and yes, mostly idiots driving SUV's) who think they can keep motoring along at 100 kmh AND tailgate and 2) those who figure that 30 kmh is safer than the 60 kmh that most everyone else is doing.

Those in#1 are the absolute worst.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one drop of freezing rain in texas always equals at least one fatality.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Most of MN has been slammed with a storm today, and I had a three-hour drive on crummy roads today. The worst was some old fart driving about 25 mph in a 65 mph zone. It was safe to drive 50 at that point. GRRRR!

But I agree with JR. There is some sort of amnesia when it comes to driving in the first snow of the season.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think you nailed it JB. Driving down a snow-packed four-lane city street yesterday, I was driving a safe 20 mph. Some dumb motherfucking SUV whips around me like road conditions were perfect and was probably doing at least 35 to the stop light.

And the sad thing is, I was the one who got in an accident minutes later ... going 15 mph near a stop light, hit a patch of ice and I couldn't stop.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The 30 cm of snow we had last Sunday (that's about a foot in funny measurements) has almost disappeared. Lots of rain and warm weather in the last week.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Most of our city streets were pretty snow-packed today.

I'm at an intersection, light turns green, my car is slow getting going because of the snow. I look in the rear-view mirror and this fuckstick in a Ford Explorer is waving his arms and bitching to his wife because I'm not going faster. I finally get up to speed, he's tailgating me until he decides to go around in the left lane. Gets around me, cuts back in front of me, and gets close to the next intersection, where the light is red. Fuckstick tries to stop, starts to slide, nearly slams into the back of a car that fortunately was turning right and pulled far enough ahead not to get hit.

I was hoping there would be a wreck, if only to be a witness to tell the cop that the fuckstick was driving too fast for conditions.

Draft saved Draft deleted