1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's like a time machine to the 80s! Aussie Rules ESPN2!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, May 22, 2010.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Lenny Hayes sounded like Babe Ruth did with throat cancer. Crazy.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They'd better show it. I want to record it.

That might be the most bizarre end to a sporting event I've seen. Speeches by the captains imploring the fans to come back next week.

I imagine it sucks if you're a fan of those teams. I find it delightfully quaint. The hell with gimmicky OTs, let's play again!

Replays are still done in the F.A. Cup for one game, but they've all but disappeared from most sports because of TV, costs, etc.

Can you imagine a Super Bowl replay?

3. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Only third time it has gone to a replay: 1948 and 1977.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Widdle biddy ones in towns of roughly 7,000 like this one. But we do have ESPN3, so I watched the first quarter on that.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If ESPN decides to empoy its hype machine, it could generate some curiosity. And anything live would be better than a replay of a college football game from last week.

But I'm not counting on it. I'm thinking ESPN sez, "Screw it, we've got better things to show. This is what ESPN3 is for."

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just got done watching this now after another night of high school football coverage. What a fantastic game! A complete replay ... what a concept! Can you see this happening in the Super Bowl? There would be riots in the stadium!

7. HanSenSE

From theage.com.au ... gotta love the byline!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-and-st-kilda-in-amazing-grand-final-draw-20100925-15rbu.html?autostart=1

8. HanSenSE

Another bump for the replay ... 10 p.m. Friday (PDT) on ESPN2. Don't know if it's on any other platforms, though.

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

And it's on ... Collingwood's out in front fast again ... up 21 points early in the second quarter.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Is this the replay of the championship game tonight or the taped version?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let's see, this will run into the Ryder Cup. Which will run into English soccer. Which will run into college football.

This is how every weekend should go on ESPN. Live sports 24/7.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The backer needs to catch that ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted