1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's like a time machine to the 80s! Aussie Rules ESPN2!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, May 22, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I love it like last night when you have three or four guys in a huge shoving match after the whistle and the umpire doesn't even as much as say stop. That's some funny stuff.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I enjoyed last night's game. Hawthorne was making Geelong sweat a bit near the end.

3. Yeah, hate the new refs' unis. Much prefer the white panama hats and sport coats. ;D

Still, it's hilarious listening to the announcers proudly proclaim, "And Hawthorne has kicked two goals and seven behinds in this second half." ;D

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And if you were scoring at home Dr. Van, it would look like this...

36 pts from goals, 7 behind pts = 43 total pts.!

I'm proud to say that I educated myself on the scoring system last night. ;D

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The new ref uni's look like they work at Outback Steakhouse [​IMG]

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That guy needs a meat pie.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Like many of you, this is the first thing that turned me onto ESPN. Then my friends and I would go in the backyard and try to play this thing using brooms and Nerf footballs. Good lord, what fun ESPN used to be.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is a U.S. version called Metro Footy that looks like it uses broomsticks, or at least PVC pipe for the goals. The game is nine-a-side instead of 18-a-side.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I was just calling a Little League coach to get some scores when I recognized (and confirmed) an Australian accent -- which in this part of the US is downright bizarre. It was all I could do to avoid a patronizing, "Hey! I watched your kind of football a couple nights ago!"

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

UPChip -- did you ask that coach how many behinds his team kicked?

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Consider his team won 18-1, I'd say he kicked quite a few. :p

Also, if my suspicion is right and he's the only guy with an Aussie accent in the county, he let a buddy of mine and I play through on the local 18 about a month ago, and we were referring to him as "Stuart Appleby," because he's a golfer and Australian (though it's not like he's the only golfer in that country, now is it?)

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If he's from Sydney or Brisbane, Aussie Rules probably isn't his kind of football. Rugby league in Sydney and rugby union in Queensland.

Draft saved Draft deleted