1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's HOF time again...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BartonK, Dec 1, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

McDowell thinks you're No. 1, 'Gola.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Jim Rice gets fewer sentimental votes because it's his last year of eligibility than anyone in Hall balloting history who made it to year No. 15.

If he gets in, it will be because a handful see him as worthy now (he was 16 votes shy last season). But he still was an SOB to deal with for lots of scribes. No points at all for defensive half of the game and his career dropped off table earlier than many sluggers.

Maybe he'll get enough new respect with the anti-steroids shields being up these days.

I like Henderson, Dawson, Blyleven and Trammell. And I've always thought that, if you don't like Blyleven ("not dominant enough") then you almost have to like Morris ("dominant in '80s but not massive lifetime totals"). Except for his ERA. ;D

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Rickey's the only one to get in. Rice just misses, and it's blamed on the media hating him, not the fact his peak wasn't that long and he fell off a cliff in a hurry.

I'd vote for Rickey (no sympathy for him failing to make it unanimously though...that's what happens when you act like an idiot for 25 years), Blyleven, Dawson, the terribly underrated Raines and the terribly underrated Trammell. Lean towards no on Morris, but could be convinced otherwise. Would like to vote for Murphy and would love to vote for Cone, but I think they just fall short.

Great but not for long enough: Mattingly

Gets enough votes to stick around another year: Grace (led the bigs in hits in the 1990s), McGwire, Parker, Smith (shouldn't though...a compiler of the highest order)

Time's up: John

Get the hell off the ballot to: Baines, Bell, Gant, Orosco, Plesac, the Vaughn cousins, Matt Williams

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll follow Shottie's lead ...

• Harold Baines -- get serious
    • Jay Bell -- Yes. And by yes, I mean fuck no.
    • Bert Blyleven -- Sorry Zeke. He's not worthy.
    • David Cone -- Nope.
    • Andre Dawson -- Yes, but it's close. Doesn't get enough credit for his Expos years.
    • Ron Gant -- Not a chance.
    • Mark Grace -- He'll just have to be satisfied as the God of vapid Cubs fans nationwide.
    • Rickey Henderson -- Yes, a no-brainer.
    • Tommy John -- Not.
    • Don Mattingly -- No way. If Mattingly ever gets in, largely because he played in a major media center, I'm starting my Cecil Cooper campaign.
    • Mark McGwire -- Avoid the roid!
    • Jack Morris -- I used to think so, but I've been beaten down over the years by several arguments against him and now I say no.
    • Dale Murphy -- He had two great years. He had two, maybe three, real good years. All of which are surrounded by tons of mediocre ones. Not on my watch.
    • Jesse Orosco -- I'm less amazed that he's on the ballot and more gobsmacked that he's been retired five years.
    • Dave Parker -- He is like a better Harold Baines. I used to make HOF arguments for Parker, so I hate to say no, but I have to. Too bad because he had a lot of tools in his shed in his prime.
    • Dan Plesac -- He'll just have to be satisfied being a Brewers legend.
    • Tim Raines -- Yes. Very underrated player. How ironic will it be when Henderson gets in and the next best leadoff man in modern baseball history is overlooked again?
    • Jim Rice -- Yes. One of the best, if not THE best, hitters in the AL for nearly a decade.
    • Lee Smith -- On the fence, leaning heavily towards no. I wish I had Smith's blown saves totals handy.
    • Alan Trammell -- Trammell was solid, but he's not a HOFer.

• Greg Vaughn & • Mo Vaughn --

[​IMG]

• Matt Williams -- Was he clean, was he not? If he had 100 more home runs, it would be a helluva an argument. He doesn't so it isn't. No.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bubbler

Interesting. Where does Smith rank against those dudes in save chances?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't have the list, but Smith -- and any modern closers -- have a helluva lot more opportunities than the early guys like Gossage, Fingers and Sutter. Plus, the odds are greater on blowing a three-inning save than a one-inning save (which is why the 1970s-80s closers lead this list.)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In: Henderson, Rice, Blyleven, Dawson.

Sticks around: Baines (though a career DH), Cone, Raines, Grace, John, Mattingly, McGwire, Morris, Murphy, Orosco, Parker, Smith, Trammell, Williams.

Of the latter, it's my opinion that Raines, Mattingly, McGwire and Smith will eventually get in. Grace is a Hall of Pretty Good guy that might get a shot simply because he and Sandberg are joined at the hip.

9. Bubbler

That's what I figured. Still on the fence, still leaning no. Lee Smith is sort of like the Bert Blyleven of closers. Never distinctive, never bad. Kind of woodwork good.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I think I'd dispute that. Sandberg was already an MVP and a four-time All-Star by Grace's rookie season. Ryno stands on his own.

(Plus, I loved watching Gracie swing ... but I don't think he stands a shot at the Hall.)

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Henderson is the only lock on the list in my opinion.

12. I'm guessing Rickey will be going in alone, which is just the way he wants it.

Draft saved Draft deleted