1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its gonna snow hier in the South

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Member

Slappy, did you happen to hear the biggest local weather geek (clue: pants held up by something other than a belt) say that he had been broadcasting live on the net since 4AM? Really, my house here in the home of Propst got a dusting and dude is on at 4AM?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Worked late last night and didn't go to bed until about 4:30 a.m. Check the Weather Channel before dozing and it says 90 percent chance of snow, with accumulations of 1 to 2 inches. Nifty.
    Woke up to let the dog out at 7:30 this morning, and it was snowing (first time in several years). If I hadn't been half asleep and the damn dog decided she'd rather stay in the house, thank you, it would've been a lot cooler.
    Woke up again at 10:30, and it had stopped. There was a dusting; enough on the ground to tell it had snowed but so little that you'd have to scour several yards to make a snowball. The neighbor was out taking a picture of it for her sick daughter, who has never seen snow. I figure it'd be neat to do the same for my sleepy wife, who has seen snow before but is zonked out still.
    Get up again at 11:15 and the small grass patch in the middle of a snowy yard now takes up most of said yard.
    Leave for work around 1 p.m. and you can hardly tell it snowed. Everything's gone.
    This was the Y2K of snowstorms. Much ado about nothing.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Drove from upstate South Carolina to Durham today and it is coming down pretty good here - not sticking to the roads here yet, though. So far the Triangle folk have been pretty calm about the snow, which is more than I can say for their Upstate SC brethren..

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

We got about two inches here in the north Atlanta 'burbs. Enough for my kids to build a snowman and have a snowball fight with about 15 neighbor kids. As I remarked to my wife (who also grew up in the Midwest), these kids haven't a clue about how to have a good snowball fight.

They were all scared of getting hit by it and nobody had the good sense to go in for a good ol' facewash. I was rather embarrassed for these children of the south, in fact. :)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, I tend not to watch him. He over dramatizes everything. Was in your neighborhood today. Did it snow at all?
    Of course, the station with Finebaum had its geek on all night too... wore the sport coat with no tie to look casual, yet concerned.

Of course, the stations all look great with Charter Cable....

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

done snowing here in atlanta, and it's already started to melt.

and of course the local TV stations are clamoring that it's OMG OMG OMG! gonna freeze over tonight.

yeah, hi. this is atlanta. odds of the ground ever freezing in atlanta, even in a the day after tomorrow scenario: 0.6%. nope, sorry, the connector's gonna be back to this come tomorrow:

[​IMG]

7. My father-in-law got a couple of inches of snow in Upstate, South Carolina. We'd like to go visit so the kid can see her first snowfall but we're a bit busy.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No snow here. Sometimes I miss New York, but in times like these, fuck that state.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And the state sends a hardy Fuck you! right back.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Snowing pretty good here now. The Queen refuses to drive in this so it may be a limo service for my festivities tonight.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I suppose at this point in time it'd be pretty hard for me to make it down there to play chauffeur.

It's sunny as can be here, but it's seven below. By the time we head home from our dinner shindig tonight, it should be 25 to 30 below.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn. I want to work for VCU so I can hire a limo to drive me around.

Draft saved Draft deleted