1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its gonna snow hier in the South

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jan 19, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Might actually get 2 inches, which I still shake my head at, not for the amount but the panic.
    One of our prep crew told this story tonight, and I have no reason not to believe him being a preacher and all.
    One of the local storm crew was interviewing people STOCKING UP BECAUSE THERE"S A STORM (TV assignment editors suck, but that's another story).
    The TV geek was interviewing a woman outside of Lowe's -- a woman who, as the preacher said, looked like she should know better -- and asked her what she got for storm preparedness.
    "Right here," she replied and pointed to her new -- wait for it -- vacuum. What are you going to do with that, she was asked.
    "Aym gonna use that to clean the snow off the porch."

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Re: Izz gonna snow hier in the South

What did her husband/daddy say?

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Nice.

Reminds me of the great "90-degree heat waves" I experienced while working in the Northeast this summer.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My college roommate for two years (and still a great friend ... for a yankee) was from near Philly and laughed his ass off the 3-4 times per year snow was predicted in our Southern city and everyone scrambled for bread and milk like the end of the world was coming.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

As I sit, curled up with my laptop and a quilt, with 60 below wind chills threatening outside (air temp is 20 below right now), all I can do?

Laugh hysterically. I can't help it.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wow. It dipped below 40 (above zero) tonight, and I'm pissy about it.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This is as good a place as any to share this little gem I got from a friend yesterday:

60 above zero:
    Floridians turn on the heat. People in Minnesota plant gardens.

50 above zero:
    Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Duluth sunbathe. Note: I have pictures of this, but temps were in the 30s.

40 above zero:
    Italian & English cars won't start. People in Minnesota drive with the windows down.

32 above zero:
    Distilled water freezes. The water in Bemidji gets thicker.

20 above zero:
    Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero:
    New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold. Actually, the cook outs never end. We'll be bbq-ing on Super Bowl Sunday.

Zero:
    People in Miami all die. Minnesotans close the windows.

10 below zero:
    Californians fly away to Mexico . People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.

25 below zero:
    Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero:
    Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in Minnesota let the dogs sleep indoors.

100 below zero:
    Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Minnesotans put the extensions on their ice augers, & go fishing.

460 below zero:
    ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.) People in Minnesota start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"

500 below zero:
    Hell freezes over. Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I still remember spending a few days in Texas during a spate of winter weather and hearing news reports about SNOWSTORM '01.

The local news treated a dusting of snow like the ever-strong pimp hand of God.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We've been lucky here in North Texas. Been colder than a witch's tit relatively speaking (mid-teens) but no precip.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

A witch's tit isn't that cold. I know because when I lived in Seattle the Bob Rivers Show had a witch on and took a temp reading of her tit.

The past few days in the metromess have been reminiscent of the weather in Cleveland the weekend of the Bills/Browns game. Except it's not snowing here [too bad]. It could stay like this forever and I'd be happy.

Rosie...was that list written by someone from Wisconsin?

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Hope it was a ShopVac. That might mess up a real vacuum cleaner. Of course, if it does mess up the vacuum, she can just put it on the porch or in the front yard with the other nonworking appliances -- washing machine, fridge, massive satellite dish

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

I am so sick of cold weather.

Good friend of mine has a policy........First time the temperature gets to 20 degrees, his old ass is in Phoenix for 3 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted