1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's gonna get worse.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jesus, why don't some of you guys just put bullets in your heads and get it over with.

Nothing's ever as bad or as good as it seems. If you know what I mean.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Bring it on!

[​IMG]

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Chicago's headed that way. Blessed with a shitload of fed funds, young Daley is going to dedicate a number of express-bus-only lanes on a number of major arteries -- including the Outer Drive.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

We don't agree on much, other than the awesomeness of Pat Benatar, but this is spot on.

Nothing's ever gone up in a straight line forever. I'm sure we would have said the same thing about the sky falling in the late '70s, if we weren't in nursery school and concerned only with drawing pictures of dinosaurs. (of course with the name Lyman Bostock you were probably in mourning in the late '70s...but you know what I mean)

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If gas rises to $9 or $10 a gallon, I either start working from home, or quit my job and work at the steak house down the road.

6. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

If gas rises to $9 or $10 a gallon, you won't have to worry about newspapers because there will be none. Not printed newspapers, anyway. It would no longer be cost effective to print and, in particular, to distribute.

Forget the internet killing off the print product. The gas pumps will do it first.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

50cc scooters have replaced the old mopeds. (Motobecane only makes bicycles these days.) 100+ mpg and you don't need a motorcycle stamp on your license to ride 'em. All the Japanese motorcycle companies sell 'em as do a lot of European companies. They've been huge business everywhere but United States up to this point, but that's changing quickly under the onslaught of $4+ gasoline.

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

There are dozens of great scooters on the market for less than $4k that get 75+ mpg. And most are from great companies with 50+ years in the business and bulletproof reputations. Honda, Yamaha and Aprilia would be the companies I would look at. Word to the wise, though, they will last practically forever of kept in garage but will crap out quickly if kept outside.

9. Just a note on this: I think many people have been reading this graph wrong. What it indicates is that the annual percentage change in staffing only increased -- and by just 2 percent -- in 2003 and 2004. When the line is sloping upwards, that simply indicates the rate of the change in the rate of change. In calculus terms, it's the f'(x).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

kleeda, do you ride a scooter to work?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Aprilia is owned by Piaggio, which also owns Vespa and Derbi.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

My last scooter was 1200 ccs and could hit 150 mph and got about 45 a gallon on a good day. So yes and no. And 2MCM is spot on about Aprilia. I just like the Aprilias.

Draft saved Draft deleted