1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's gonna get worse.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 2, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And apparently the industry hasn't cut enough.

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2008/07/deeper-staff-cuts-likely-at-newspapers.html

[​IMG]

And who is Alan Mutter?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I shoulda stayed in the fast food business.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wonder if I could go work for him?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the dramatic rise in revenues in 2002-03-04?

Didn't we have the internets then?

5. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Hot housing market.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Oh god. According to that graph, headcounts appeared to be rising while revenue just took a exponential dive into the ground. No wonder all the layoffs. You can only wonder if it's going to get worse, too. I was watching NBC Nightly News with my parents last night and there was a report about the growing tension going on with Israel and Iran. If a conflict emerges between them two, oil analysts have predicted the cost of barrels of oil to rise to $300-$400. That'll make only this industry that much worse.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Load up on Exxon and Halliburton, kids.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Time to load up on some oil stocks, too.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It would obliterate life as we know it.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Gas prices rising to $9-$10 a gallon. I'd rather sell my car and fix up the bicycle. To fill my car for $150 (15 gallon tank), isn't worth it. Ford, GMC and all the companies who sell the large-size trucks will go under within a blink of en eye.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

A bike works as long as you don't live 45 minutes from work -- by car -- or have to travel on three or four different freeways to get there. That's what really makes this whole gas thing so scary for so many people.

The first motorcycle company to bring back those once-popular mopeds, in force, might come out way ahead in the next few months and years.

If I remember correctly, those things got about 100 miles per gallon. And a modernized, hybrid or electric one might do even better these days.

Of course, those weren't allowed on freeways, either. But they'd certainly help with everyday, going-around-town type stuff, and maybe, if they were made a little bit bigger and if enough people used 'em, then they could/would be legalized for freeway riding. Instead of often unused carpool lanes, there could be moped/motorcycle lanes, or some such thing.

It's just a thought.

12. captzulu

captzulu Member

What is really needed is a drastic overhaul of the public transportation system to turn it from the secondary means of transport for people to the primary. When I lived in China, you can get almost anywhere by taking the bus, and they run a lot more than just once or twice an hour. Almost all roads have designated bike lanes that are blocked off from car lanes (bikes and cars simply aren't meant to share the same lanes safely), and the streets are designed to accommodate walking as a significant means of moving around. And that was almost 20 years ago. If more U.S. towns & cities, not just the biggest metros, had public transit infrastructure approaching that level, I suspect a lot more people would use public transportation, bike or walk. As it is, without expanding the infrastructure, any attempt at changing your lifestyle to use public transportation more just isn't practical or convenient enough to last long term, and the minute the price of gas dips 10 cents, people would go right back to what they were doing before.

Draft saved Draft deleted