1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Going To Have To Be A Helluva Speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just want to be sure you stay sharp Fenian
    My role on the board is to be a bit raffish. My role with 21 remains our secret.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If the direction of the GOP gives the Democrats more guys like Webb, Montana Governor Schweitzer, Senator Tester, and others, then I'm all for it. Dems like those guys are the kind I want in office.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What exactly do you call the flight suit that your president donned for a photo opp?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Halloween?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I never even mentioned that nor will I defend it, Pavlov's Dog. Now, would you care to address the issue at hand?

Fenian,

Gore brought that on himself. Look at each one of those stories -- each had a kernel of truth, but Gore exaggerated them just slightly:

"Gore Florida Classroom": The girl was forced to stand for a single day; Gore made it appear to be on-going.
    "Gore internet": Gore was one of the pioneers in appropriating funds that helped bring us SportsJournalists.com. But by using the word "creating" instead of "funding" or "promoting," he inflated his role.
    "Gore Love Story": Again, Al Gore's word choice dooms him. Had he simply said that parts of Love Story were based on his life, he would have been correct. Using the word "inspired" makes it appear as that his life gave Segal the idea for the story.
    "Gore family farm": The Gores did have a family farm and I'm sure that Al had chores. But plowing a steep hillside with a team of mules? Just say that you had chores and it made you appreciate the hard work that a farmer puts in and leave it at that.

I see a pattern: Gore will always add that little twist/flourish that isn't necessary. In every case, he could have made an entirely truthful claim, but didn't. That is a character flaw worth examining.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

We've all covered this shit for the last several years on this board, Pope. Really, what more is there for any of us to say? I won't waste any more time making an argument, if that's what you want.

Ask someone else to talk to a brick wall.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What about Democrats' party? That work? :)

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

So you are willing to jump into the thread, but unwilling to defend your posts? You deride everyone who was talking in the NFC/AFC Conference title games thread, but refuse to give your own analysis. So what will you lower yourself to do?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can you bring me up to speed on what you are refering too? I drank a lot of ice tea today and have had to spend a lot of time in bathroom. It's been hard to keep up with all threads.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The guy at the frat party who prevents everyone from having to drink Natural Light, just did everyone a favor.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're just trying to get Fenian to correct you on "ice tea," right?

Draft saved Draft deleted