1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Going To Have To Be A Helluva Speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 23, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If Airtrans ran this thread, Tony's ass would have been tossed from here a long time ago.

Tony, STFU. You're making a complete idiot of yourself.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

AA, I've got no problem with you and you've argued maturely in this thread. But dog put words in my mouth that never came close to passing my lips -- that I blasted the US for hos it wrapped up WWII. Dog is a worthless piece of excrement liar and I won't let his lies go unchallenged.

But back to the point, Webb called for Bush to take the same action on Iraq that Eisenhower took on Korea, which means 50 years from now there would still be 40,000 US troops there. He thought it sounded good but apparently didn't look too deep. Now, as I've pointed out that 40,000 troops were still there 50 years later, everyone realizes it doesn't sound so good. I'm pointing out Webb's screwup and I have the transcript as undeniable proof.

You and I both agree that negotiating an armistice (particularly, with whom?) in Iraq makes it very different from Korea. And because it's very different from Korea, Webb was being disingenuous in making the comparison because he thought it sounded so good at the time.

3. old_tony

Well, JR, if I'm making an idiot of myself by directly quoting Jim Webb, what does that make Webb?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

tony, you are borderline crazy.

No reasonable person could agree with you.

Do with that information what you will, but this is well beyond politics.

You cannot keep insisting that a man said something he did not say. He said it on television. They recorded it. It's not there.

Seek help.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

While I appreciate the fact that you're also keeping this civil, you're still jumping to conclusions which aren't logical, and an earlier poster got it right. Millions of Americans who listened to him understood what he was trying to say, and it's doubtful that even 1 person in 1,000 took it to mean what you did. And even though that's the way you took it, that's not what Webb meant.
    Nor does it mean we all suddenly realize Webb's idea's not too good.

Webb was referring to ending the war, not stationing troops there for decades to come for strategic purposes. And believe me, buddy, being stationed somewhere for strategic purposes is a hell of a lot different from being stationed in a live war zone.

Your logic is flawed. We'll all be better off if this silly line of thinking is halted right here, because not even you are going to gain anything from it. Seriously.

6. old_tony

Zeke, if you can't read the quote directly from the transcript, then we don't have much to talk about. If you can read it and not understand that he said something he thought sounded good, again, we have nothing to talk about.

He presented what Eisenhower did with Korea as something Bush should do with Iraq. He thought it sounded good. "Tonight we are calling on this president to take similar action ... "

The situations in Iraq and Korea are nowhere similar. But he said it anyway. And now the words are his, whether you like it or not.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Dunno, Zeke. That tactic has worked pretty damn well against Al Gore.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You're saying that Al Gore never overstated his accomplishments?

9. old_tony

You know and I know that Webb wouldn't knowingly say he wanted troops in Iraq for another 50 years. I'm not saying he knowingly said that. But that's what happens when you say things because you think they sound good at the time. And I'm calling him on it.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The mistake all of you made is that you should have switched over to Destination Wild - you could have watched Courtney Hansen fish for trout in Montana instead of the president fishing for answers.

[​IMG]

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He specifically said "end the war."

He did not specifically say anything else.

He then said similar action.

The line of thought is clear to anyone with a functioning brain.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, you weren't watching the NHL skills competition?

Draft saved Draft deleted