1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Going To Have To Be A Helluva Speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 23, 2007.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

We have soldiers in Germany and Japan (14,000 personnel alone at Yokota AFB in Tokyo) as well.

I guess that means we're still fighting World War II.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, Tony, you're only making things worse here. U.S. troops aren't exactly "fighting" in Korea. Just ask one or two who've actually, y'know, served there. We still have troops in Japan and Germany. Does that mean World War II never actually ended?

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

BECAUSE IT'S NOT A POINT, dumbass.

The Korean War is OVER. How many casualties have there been among US troops in Korea over the last year? You know why? Because Eisenhower ENDED THE KOREAN WAR.

That's what Webb is calling for -- an END TO THE IRAQ WAR.

Will a large number of troops be stationed in Iraq afterwards, I'm sure, since we've got 45,000 or so in Japan and 75,000 or so in Germany a long ass time since we were fighting in either place. But they won't be dying by the damned dozen every day.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Stop throwing facts and common sense at old tony, it will only confuse him more.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the dumbest argument in history. I can't believe it's actually dragged on more than one page. 1) Given who he is, anyone with third-grade common sense, knows that wasn't his argument. 3) Millions of people watched that speech and understood what he was trying to say. They don't need someone with a twisted parsing machine to explain it to them. You can use twisted logic all you want, and even argue that no war the U.S. has ever been in has ever ended because our army still exists, but it doesn't change Webb's intended message or change the fact that millions of people understood it with crystal-clear precision.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tony - interesting thought, but I just think its the wrong analogy. The South Koreans wanted us there to drive North Korea back across 38th parallel - big difference. Other than the Kurds no one seems to really want us in Iraq.

US troops stationed in Korea are not in day to day danger.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You know, we can play this game, too. Watch.

I like how old tony has blasted the U.S. for how it wrapped up WWII.

He has gone on record now saying that the fact that we have stationed several thousand troops in Japan and Germany means that we "cut and run" before the job was finished. Hey, he cited Korea as a model. I'm just pointing it out.

That's pretty low, even for old tony. I mean, it's one thing to toss around insults on this board, but to criticize the brave men and women who sacrificed so much for this country and the rest of the world during WWII, that's just scummy. Have you no shame, old tony?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If we haven't finished World War II yet, then I demand the draft be reinstated immediately.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The depths of dog's lies knows no bound. I'm perfectly happy with the fact that we have several thousand troops in Japan and Germany and said no such thing that we cut and ran. Obviously (to everyone but dog, apparently) the job was finished.

All I did was point out how Webb said something because he thought it sounded good, but upon further review, it no longer sounds so good to the "cut and run" left because the analogy Webb used is not what they want (troops there for another 50 years).

Just to refresh your memory, dog, we have signed Armistices from Japan, Germany and Italy from WWII and from Korea from that conflict. The only one who criticizes our brave men is you and your side, dog. You are the most shameful example of human-like DNA I've ever come across.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I repeat:

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Tony, you're treading on very dangerous grounds, especially when you question someone's patriotism like that.

You put out a theory, it got stomped on by true logic, and you backpedaled and changed the conditions of your argument.

I'm trying not to be insulting to you, but right now the crusty gum underneath my desk has more credibility than you, by virtue of being able to stick to one thing and not budge.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just for you, Zeke, I repeat:

Draft saved Draft deleted