1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's final: Lipscomb wins 123-22

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Highway 101, Nov 14, 2007.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And the ADs scheduled this game for what reason?

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Girl that plays in this conference......is from Slo----something or other......6'9.

Yeah.....a 6'9 girl.

Edit: Just saw her bio......she is from California, (yeah, that's close to Slo-something).......she averaged 2 points, 9 boards last year. Yeah....this could be fun to watch.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Covered a 100-24 prep girls game once. Winning team was fouling intentionally in the final minute to get the ball back and get 100. Three starters were on the floor at the end when the 100th point was scored. The home crowd went bonkers like they won the state championship.

4. I don't care how bad Fisk is. The Lipscomb coach deserves some serious shit for this. I wouldn't have played the starters in the second half at all. Good God, it was 61-10 at halftime.

I just looked at the play-by-play. Lipscomb opened the second half with a 29-1 run. It was 90-11 with 12:36 left. Lipscomb did not take its last two starters out of the game until there was 8:29 left. The score was 100-16.

I guess you don't want to take the air out of the ball -- now that would be really humiliating! -- but Lipscomb shot 11 three-pointers in the second half. That's ridiculous. I'm now rooting for Lipscomb to lose the rest of its games. But, hey, they made ESPN this morning.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And making ESPN I'm sure was very prominent in their minds. A 99-point win wouldn't have done it.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's funny anyways.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Damn 30 second shot clock. ;D

I'm sure Lipscomb will get on the receiving end of one of these in the not too distant future.

http://lipscombsports.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/lips-w-baskbl-sched.html

Too bad the Lady Bisons don't play Tennessee this year.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Take away the losers' scholarships!

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If I were there, I'd privately be pulling for the 100-point win. If I must watch a bad game, let it be a historically bad one.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but why does it seem this happens mostly in girls or womens basketball? We've had other horror stories in our area high school teams of the 117-21 games, and the winning team pressing the entire 32 minutes and letting the best 1-2 girls keep firing away. Seems as if the girls teams are a bit more mercenary than boys teams. We had one of those aforementioned situations where a team showed up with seven girls, four fouled out, and the other team was pressing 5 on 3.

Of course when these good teams got to the state playoffs, it caught up to them. They'd play teams just as good, who could handle a press, and then you'd see how lost they would get: "Omigod! We have no idea how to play halfcourt defense or halfcourt offense. Our whole defense was pressing, and our whole offense was layups off the press."

Doesn't make the teams they steamrolled in the regular season feel any better.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Hondo, after reading that, I'm beginning to side with you on this. I remember reading a blurb in 1998 in the Register about a team whipping the worst team in the city (possibly in the state), 98-6. It was 30-2 at halftime, but the winning coach decided to keep his starters in there to "break records." I felt at that time that if you're playing a dog of a team, if you're up big, put the JV's in there. You made your statement.

But, they kept pressing, stealing balls, forcing turnovers with their starters like they lost a game the previous evening. Happy to say that they lost in the state semifinals.

Draft saved Draft deleted