1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Enrico Palazzo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Watching "The Naked Gun" on Comedy Central right now (it's in the middle of the baseball scene) and just couldn't help but wonder about the trail of events that led to Reggie Jackson getting brainwashed.
    Was he kidnapped at an L.A. cocktail party? Did Vincent Ludwig lure him to some tropical island for a vacation, and then do nefarious things to him?
    Too bad this movie came out before the DVD era. I'd have loved to have seen this as a deleted scene or extra feature.

Also, how would Sportscenter have handled its coverage of this game?

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The guy who yells that is also Francis in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and the fat kid in "Teen Wolf".

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And what the hell is Jay Johnstone doing hitting leadoff?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It always cracked me up that there are like nine radio announcers, including Dr. Joyce Brothers.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't realize it until looking at the IMDB page, but the Angels manager is Lawrence Tierney (the old crime boss from "Reservoir Dogs").
    Any idea who played Dave Spiwack, the Angels' pitcher? I tried a quick Google search and nothing popped up, and he's not in the IMDB credits. In the movie it looks like he can actually pitch, so I thought he might be a major leaguer.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I liked the one inning where the Angels hit a grand slam. Problem was, all four runners rounded second base.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reggie didn't get brainwashed. The brainwashing mechanism was on his watch.

I always love the part where the mayor warns Drebin about not repeating what happened on the west side and Drebin says that when he sees men in togas stabbing someone to death, he shoots the bastards.

"That was a Shakespeare in the Park rendition of Julius Caesar, you moron. You killed five actors. Good ones!"

That, and the scene where Drebin is cleaning out his desk, and he opens a manilla envelope:

"Hey, here's the missing evidence in the Kellner case. By God, he was innocent!"

"He went to the chair two years ago, Frank."

"Oh."

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And yet we don't even blink now watching ESPN's Monday Night coverage (3 in the booth, 3 at the stadium, 3 or more in Bristol) or the other Sunday football shows.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't the watch just the trigger? Seems like he should've still needed some brainwashing to know what his mission was. Otherwise, why wouldn't he want to kill the umpire or one of the Mariners instead of the queen?

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hahahaha ... love that movie.

Don't know about Reggie. I mean, something had to have been planted on him for him to want to kill the queen. He most certainly liked the spotlight, but probably wouldn't care for an impending murder trial.

I'm curious who took over in CF for the Mariners player who got his head chopped off in the video. And who let the tiger on the field?

Also, did we ever find out if Frank knocked out the real Mr. Palazzo with an official bat or not?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He knocked out the umpire. They showed Palazzo tied up on the couch when Drebin was destroying the national anthem.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yikes ... brain fart on my part.

Draft saved Draft deleted