1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's election night here....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Since states can't outlaw alcohol, I guess their goal is to make it as inconvenient as possible to drink it.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

John, I ate that very same sandwich at Tortuga's Lie a couple of days ago. I liked it, and the joint, very much.

Yesterday, we stopped in at a place called the Full Moon Cafe in Manteo, which was kind of hoity-toity for me, but where I ate a bowl of crab dip that made me jizz in my pants. No joke, it was one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life. (The dip, not the jizz.) Goddamn, it was good. And the crabcake sandwich rivaled Tortuga's.

We're off to Ocracoke tomorrow. In a place called Frisco right now. It's sunny and nice. Kid's napping at the moment, but then we're hitting the beach.

Sorry to threadjack, folks -- although the original subject was food, I guess.

I'm still trying to get my head around this liquor thing.

3. Came into the office yesterday afternoon to find a note on my desk reading "turkey on wheat".

Scratched my head for a second and then realized it was for election night food. I was pleased. I haven't bought groceries in two weeks, so I was going to have to grab something on the way to covering a girls basketball game.

Get back from the game, where I had a bag of popcorn, and discover the all of the food has been eaten. Even though our newsroom coordinator had ordered everything, and even put those little notes on our desks, someone must have had more than his fair share. I just shrug my shoulders.

A female reporter comes in later from covering an election a few towns over, can't find food and begins to ask question. A former sports guy, now working in news, sees her problem and begins ranting that he can't believe other reporters would eat more than they were allowed.

Female reporter shares that she had in fact eaten anyay while in the far off town. Male news reporter says he's glad she's not famished and she should definitely "expense that meal and let everyone know about it". He repeats this line about four times.

I sit, amused, and open up my expense report and immediately mark down my 75 cent bag of popcorn.

Moral of story, as always: election nights in newsrooms suck.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Some bars in NJ and Philly do that too. It's called bar owners trying to save money on booze by keeping tabs on how much alcohol is actually being poured into the drinks.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Last night was the first election night in a long time I was scheduled to be off for.

However, most election nights, the sports deadline gets moved up 30-60 minutes to make sure the deck is cleared for all the news pages going through at the last minute because of election results.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We had a big upset for one of the Jersey mayors. I called it last week but everyone else in the office said that I'm new here and don't know what I'm talking about because I don't know the history here. Which is true, but I had a feeling. When voters get scared into a potential tax hike because the 8-year mayor refuses to release the annual financial statement, changes are made. And they were.

7. Some places don't allow liquor to be served by the drink unless it's in a private club. This used to be a statewide law in Kansas until a few years back, when they decided to leave it up to individual counties.

I remember going to a restaurant on the Kansas side of the line in suburban KC and asking for a beer with dinner. The waitress asked me if I was staying in a hotel; I was wondering what she was getting at (she was pretty cute, but ...). She said if I showed her my room key, I could order alcohol, because that would qualify me for membership in the restaurant's "club." I did, and I got my drink. Bizarre.

That's why the U.S. sometimes is more akin to 50 independent countries than one.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Just so you feel better F_B, the R's didn't beat the D's for mayor of Indianapolis -- an outsider candidate whom the Republican party refused to support beat a two-term incumbent who, if I caught the vibe right when I was in Indy last weekend, was hated by everyone, with good reason.

To make you feel even better, F_B, I saw that D's swept just about all of the other major mayoralties in the state, including at least two, I think, with R candidates that were either indicted or had some shady past, the past being defeated as the last year or so.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Holy crap! Best news ever!!! Thanks Fenian (18 hours later).

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: L iquor by the drink: Must be a dry county, and it's allowing people to drink in restaurants. Before, where I lived, it was dry. No bars in any of the restaurants. I had to drive two counties away, any direction, before I could buy beer.

Liquor by the drink meant Applebee's and those likes could come into town with their bars. Still no liquor stores, but alcohol could be served in restaurants, or 'by the drink.'

Had nothing to do with bottle sizes where I was.

11. Spin it any way you want, but ...

The R's also took control of the Indy city council from the D's.

12. Today, Indianapolis....

Draft saved Draft deleted