1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's election night here....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Meanwhile, in the actual races, the R's beat the incumbent D mayor of Indianapolis, the hopeless Ernie (Good Luck In Prison) Fletcher went down to Democrat Brashear in Kentucky, and maybe our Old Dominion contingent can tell me how much this really means:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/06/AR2007110601036.html?nav=hcmodule

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Football Fridays was the reference. Sorry, if I threw that one to the backstop.

3. I was just hoping you were chilling in Firenze.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Across the river from Florence tonight ... just not that Florence.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Down here in Mississippi, Haley Barbour, the incumbent guvnur, defeated the Bible-toting Jahn Ahhhhthur Eaves Junyor easily. Eaves is either the front-runner for 2011 or has greatly increased his earning potential as a big business-smashing attorney.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, I've had our final-edition pages in for 30 minutes.

Why am I still here?

Because the previous edition is like 27 minutes late, and they won't clear my pages until that edition is in.

I love journalism. ;)

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It's not terribly surprising. Once you get past Prince William, the rest of NoVa is very Dem-heavy, so it's not surprising that the two tight races went their way. The Petersen/Devolites-Davis race was a bitter one; both sides spent a fair amount of money to get on TV in DC with attack ads.

The tide was turning against the GOP anyway, given W's unpopularity and a general displeasure with the state legislature. The abusive driver fees idea has blown up in their face, for better or worse; and when the outcry was at its loudest, they essentially punted a decision to revisit the issue - which really didn't sit well with the people who were pissed off in the first place. I believe the state legislature also failed to get the budget done last time.

So it's really not that surprising, though the national tidal wave of anti-GOP sentiment is only a part of it.

The races in Prince William got interesting in the past few months, ever since the immigration matter took hold. Saslaw says that immigration wasn't a huge topic statewide, and I'd tend to agree, but it was a huge deal in PWC. Even so, turnout was apparently rather light; I figured with all the coverage and the protests, that would get some other folks out to the polls. Guess not.

Me? I voted purely out of a sense of duty. Saslaw ran against some clown from the Green Party who never bothered to do the least bit of campaigning - a fact noted in the Post a couple of weeks ago. Brian Moran, our delegate, ran unopposed.

I'd considered Saslaw to be part of the problem in the legislature, so I wrote in myself. I don't think I did very well, though.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It was a drag tonight. Yeah I got the pizza, but to whoever said it was like a junior high slumber party is right. Bullshit nonsense flowing from everyone all night. I had three stories to write and paginate, yet everyone wanted to talk to me. No one in that newsroom did shit from 7 until 10 p.m. except me.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Can't we just have a running electon night thread so sports siders can whine about no pizza, bitch about news siders and tell each other they're the only ones in the newsroom who work under pressure? S. T. F. U. :)

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually forgot to bring my lunch to work tonight. Good thing we could steal pizza from across the hallway ...

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

It was only a matter of time until the Dems regained control of the Bluegrass. I'm pretty sure Fletcher was the first Republican governor since the '60s, and the Republicans still haven't held the office for consecutive terms since 1900, IIRC.

Most of the Democrats in KY are more like Southern Democrats, though, so a lot of them are more conservative than most Republicans outside of the South.

Beshear isn't exactly a flaming liberal hippie.

Draft saved Draft deleted