1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's election night here....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yeah! those of us who have done both know better :)

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We got foodstuffs tonight, but not pizza.

3. Every election night, our op-ed columnists have to file, like, 500 words on a hard deadline.
    Every election night, the regular sports columnists have a good laugh.
    Vive le democracie!

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You don't need pizza, my friend. You need a new job.

No pizza? Who the hell do they think they are? Bastards.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep, I loved my old bureau, where news writers wouldn't stay past 7 p.m. on any other night for all the tea in China. Then on Election Night they got this perverse enjoyment about being there, like they're 12 years old again and awake at 3 a.m. at a friend's slumber party. I'm in the corner filing a Tuesday night gamer and wanting my quiet room back.

Also loved the writers who thought their 6 inches on the county coroner election was the most important thing in the paper. I'm thinking "there were five times as many people at the Friday night football playoff game I covered last week as voters in your story."

In short: also bitter about lack of pizza.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It's municipal elections here in Iowa (mayor, city council, commissioners, etc). It's usually a light night, but the big story is in Iowa City. There is a measure on the ballot to ban students under 21 from the bars after 10 p.m..
    http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071106/NEWS01/71106010/1079

Several minutes ago, the county auditor reported that there is technical glitch in the vote count.
    http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071106/NEWS01/71106011/1079

This is going to be a fun night in the fight between Iowa Students and the Iowa City townies.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

It's election night here. We're all getting along fine. Pizza arrived long ago. As a former sports guy, I made one snide comment about "Where's this on Friday night?" and then ate it down.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Everytime I get start to get snarky about news side angst on Election Day, I think to myself how I would handle going out to cover a grisly fatal car accident.

We all have our crosses to bear. I'll trade their one night of angst so I never have to do that as long as I live.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm guessing no one in my office has to cover grisly car accidents.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No, they cover bake sales instead.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I took the night off. I don't miss being there for anoher election night, pizza or not.

Anyway, we have our 11th consecutive weekly election night on Friday.

12. Where do you work?
    Italy?

Draft saved Draft deleted