1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Edmund Fitzgerald weekend (edit)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well knock it off. Sundays are not a day for being an a-hole.

And you don't really want me to send you to your room this early in the morning now, do you? ;)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Works for me... I can go back to bed for an hour

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well, whatcha waiting for? :D

Go take that extra hour of sleep.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i love the version when the all the names of the dead are read at the end of the song and a bell chimes after each name.
    in honor:
    [​IMG]

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Next to the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, my favourite Gord song.

The guy is a national treasure.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Once, in maybe 1990 or so, I attended one of those annual Gordon Lightfoot shows in that enormous concert hall in Toronto. When he sang that song ... it was like church.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Does anybody nail an internal rhyme as consistently and frequenly as Gord? I think not.

It's hard to underestimate how brutal Lake Superior is. Even in April, on the UP shoreline you can see frozen waves. I swam Lake Superior once. It was July, and it felt like icicles were growing on my hair. The waves are rough in the best of times.

But speaking of shipping, for my Marquette-area relatives, the site of the first ore boat is a cause for celebration -- the unofficial first sign of spring.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Even in the summer, Lake Superior is around 50 degrees, water temp. Several years ago, my best friend and I, along with her brother and sister, went to the beach on Park Point. It was about 95 degrees (yes, it can get that warm in Duluth in the summer) and a couple times I chased the football into the water, just to cool off.

Brrrrrrr!

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When you leave the Superior lakefront during the Grandma's Marathon and head into Duluth, it feels as if the temperature goes up by about 15 degrees. At least it did the year I ran there.

Good call on GL's rhyming. It's especially clever (for the lack of a better word) in CRT.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

funky beat me to it... it's a pretty good beer

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Went to school there for a while, and have spent lots of time in both the UP and the Duluth areas. Have swam Superior in many areas, including Marquette, Munising, Minnesota Point and all around the Keewenaw. Once you go numb, it's rather enjoyable.

Was up in Grand Marais, not very far at all from where the Fitzgerald went down, last August, and Mrs. Fly got some outstanding pics while we were walking around the harbor and breakwall. Remember, it's mid August but it's about 45 degrees and the temp is dropping fast. It's raining, and the winds have to be at LEAST 60 mph. The waves are probably cresting close to 25 feet. Just amazing the force of nature that Superior can be.

Superior indeed sings in the rooms of its icewater mansion...

Draft saved Draft deleted