1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Day 298 of the Pelosi Revolution and...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Oct 30, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

BT, the point is she is so weak she can't even get her own party to help her do things.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If she had slashed taxes, cut off welfare and throttled five Supreme Court justices till they repealed Roe v. Wade, they'd be dancing in the GOP streets.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm not saying this to be political or whatever, but do you really think so? I have a hard time believing people are going to restore the Republicans they threw out after just two years. There's always the possibility that the House will turn over, just because all 435 are up every time. But in the Senate, there have already been, what, four or five Republicans who aren't coming back, several in states that are likely to be quite competitive. I can't see that turning back over.

I also think the presidential election is going to bring out quite a few people who want to cast an anti-Bush vote (even though he's not running), and will therefore get to vote in the other races as well. Who knows what that'll mean, but I don't think it's good for the GOP.

People don't like the Democratic Congress, but I don't think they liked the Republican Congress any more. I think they just don't like Congress as a whole, which is totally understandable.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

You raise very good points there, but to me, the Dems ran on the Repubs suck, we'll do it a thousand times better than they can.
    They haven't, and it's going to come back and haunt them for the simple fact of how loud and arrogantly they proclaimed themselves the saviors of this country.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Arrogance?

Do tell.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

She actually has screwed up "every single friggin' thing" she's touched.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I thought raising the minimum wage was good.

The SCHIP bill was good.

Drumming Alberto Gonzales out of office was good.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

At some point, I think you're right. I just don't see it being in the next election. I think people will be more inclined to say, yeah, the Dems suck, but we still think the GOP sucks more. That, though, might be my bias leaking through, so who knows.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Not as long as the guy who sits in the Oval Office still sits there.

So the Dems ran in '06 saying they would "save" the country. I don't recall many speeches or campaign ads that said that. Can you cite some?

Even if you could, would it not be a tad bit hypocritcal from the side of the aisle where the sitting vice president -- among others -- is on record saying that terrorists would bomb us to oblivion if Democrats were elected?

And again, it bears repeating: Congress approval ratings are low, but a few recent polls -- such as a recent WP one I cited in a thread a few days ago -- have Congressional Republicans at an even lower approval than Congressional Democrats. The Dems' current House majority is larger than the GOP ever had from 1994-2006. Every reputable analyst -- Charlie Cook, etc. -- will say that you have a better chance of seeing God in 2008 than the Republicans regain control of the Senate.

So, anyone who is confidently predicted that the Dems will be swept out of office in '08 is setting himself up to be disappointed, and looking foolish, on Election Day.

10. You can't find me one quote of her "blustering" about it.
    She specifically took it "off the table" within a week of becoming Speaker.

11. Hmmm ... that's a two-way street, I believe.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Cut the commie crapola!
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted