1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's called working a corner and keeping America's streets safe for children.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 24, 2006.

1. http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/_a/lauding-rogers-shameful-after-ripping/20061024163709990001

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Jason, you're slipping. Usually you allow for someone else to post your work and boost the ego.

3. Oz, you know I have no shame when it comes to self-promotion.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

you sure know how to stir up some shit, JW

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: It's called working a corner and keeping America's streets safe for children

You assume that anyone would have found him at aol.com. ;)

Anyways, I love that column. Whitlock's fall 2006 modus operandi is to set his sites squarely on his colleagues, and I think it's vastly entertaining... not unlike a prime time soap, or pro wrestling all those years ago. Keep up the bashing.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Cardinals, A's and Yankees do not appear outraged, from what I've read, which I think is a whole lot stranger than a Detroit columnist not peeing on his readers' picnic. It's not as if the rival Detroit News was after Rogers' blood, either:

Listen, folks. Is the smudge suspicious? It is. But there's no concrete evidence of anything, and it's preposterous to suggest it explains Rogers' brilliance.

Pitchers use whatever they can to grip the ball during cold weather. If Rogers pushed accepted practices too far, then La Russa should have raised a bigger ruckus. And if it wasn't worthy of such a stir, it shouldn't be overblown after the fact, casting unfair aspersions on Rogers and his unbelievable tale.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061024/SPORTS08/610240403/1004/SPORTS

I think at some point, Jason, you're going to have to concede that people are going after Bonds mostly because they do not like him. Same reason why people here often go after Albom with as much venom as they do -- a more likable columnist might not get a pass here, but the piling on wouldn't happen so often.

7. poindexter, blasting the media has been part of my shtick throughout my career. goes back a good 12 -13 years.... i covered the fab five michigan team and ripped albom's fictional book about the team in print. albom knows how i do business.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Re: It's called working a corner and keeping America's streets safe for children

Albom -- the most celebrated sports writer in the history of newspapers

How do I put this nicely?

Red Smith!

And I could follow with Grantland Rice, Peter Gammons and more than a few others.

Starting with Red Smith!

Albom is best known as a best-selling author, not a sports writer.

Red Smith!

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The race card?

Playing the race card?

Red Smith wouldn't have done that.

Wow. That's ludicrous.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Clown.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, my favorite line was "I wish I was making this up," since Albom has pirated and abused the phrase stolen from Dave Barry, "I am not making this up" for years.
    And of course, the Dwarf would say it was something TV made up. Meet me in St. Looie was "no big deal."
    Of course, if Cris Carpenter had shit on the heel of his hand, the Dwarf would be bitching about it until his next book comes out.

12. Re: It's called working a corner and keeping America's streets safe for children

Randomly read an Entertainment Weekly article on Albom today, and it struck me how quickly he brushed off his newspaper transgressions. He basically said it was a mistake, he did it, you shouldn't, move on. Just no remorse. But at this point, he's more Dan Brown than Dan Wetzel, so I don't know why I was surprised at all.

I also enjoyed the "I wish I was making this up" line...it reminded me of a comedy act I saw, though I can't remember who - Lewis Black, maybe.

(I wonder, though, about your 10 rules for rolling. They're hardly rules, but who am I to argue with Big Sexy)

Draft saved Draft deleted