1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's called thinning the herd

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jaredk, Feb 16, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

And over the past few years the technology has created more work. Where we used to edit a story for the newspaper and that was it, now we're also editing stories numerous times through the night for the website, and editing blogs.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If your asshole can throw a paper, join the circus.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I now realize my thematic blunder. Thanks, Dools.
    Fixed above.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If your jackass can throw a newspaper, put it in the circus. What about your dog?

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Golden Retriever. She can get it. But, won't when it's all wet. I tried explaining that to "Sharon."

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've worked at six papers. None were guild shops.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Before I got out of this business, I was laid off twice before I was 30.

The first time was when I was an online/Web/whatever guy. I was told that my position was being replaced by unpaid interns from the local college. I didn't even have that job a fucking year.

The second time was my first stint as a sports writer. I wasn't give a reason, but the writing on the wall said that management thought the SE put too much into high school sports. It wasn't a valued beat.

I found more work in sports, but I quit not long ago. I wanted some control over my career rather than always being a victim, so I left on my own terms.

Shit doesn't always make sense. Especially in this business.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One interesting thing is about that 1-6 a.m. window is my shop keeps trying to have a staffer work from 4 or 5 a.m. to late morning/1 p.m. to do early updates on the web and work on print stories later on. The problem is, every time a reporter gets assigned to the beat, he quits a few months later. Can't say I exactly blame them. It takes a lot of sacrifice to be able to work that kind of shift.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's not always the publisher. At my old joint, the publisher came up through the newsroom in a variety of roles. Good guy. A newspaperman.
    A lot of times, it is the person/people above the publisher making the call. A corporate board tells the publisher: Cut it by whatever.

10. Bru

Bru Member

As someone who is in his late 50s, makes a very good salary, has a lengthy tenure at my company (and thus keeps accruing pension obligations), I was targeted during a layoff/buyout last year. Only reason I survived is that a couple of folks left unexpectedly. As I teetered precipitously, the one element that kept me up at night was the medical. If I'm out of a job, there's no way my wife (also late 50s, with many health problems) and I could get insurance, so we'd essentially be naked until Medicare kicked in--sometime around 2016. The moral of the story: If we had universal health coverage, some of this would be less painful. I suspect there are many of us in my age group, in this industry and others, in the same boat.

I'm not ignoring the reality that we'd still have to pay the bills, but, along with the buyout package, there would be ways to get by--downsizing the house, for instance--until pension and 401K could be tapped.

Ironically, of course, given that our staff is much leaner, my skills, knowlege and especially my versatility seem to be more necessary than ever. In my own estimation and that of others, I'm doing the best work of my career here. And yet, there I was a year ago, allegedy ready for the scrap heap. Others, old and young, were not so lucky and the product has suffered grievously for their absence.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Joe, you seem like good people, but the act is getting old. No shit, the industry is facing problems.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great post Bru. For all I kow I cold be in the same boat (except for the wife) if anything were to happen at my place.

Draft saved Draft deleted