1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been one week since I've smoked some weed...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Jul 16, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So what I gather from the last few posts of this thread is a band is always better if it doesn't have any popular songs. That about cover it?

Stunt (the first BNL I ever bought) was loaded with absolutely great stuff even if One Week and It's All Been Done weren't on it. Light Up My Room, In the Car, Some Fantastic, I'll Be That Girl, Alcohol ...

And buying that disc made me have to by Gordon, Maybe You Should Drive and Born On A Pirate Ship.

The stuff on those discs was great, too ... the real essence of BNL.

To me, that's what the best of BNL was. Those first four discs right up through Stunt. I was disappointed with Maroon and more disappointed with Everything to Everyone and stopped buying their stuff after that.

It kind of reminds me of a little more than 20 years earlier when I bought "The Stranger" by Billy Joel and then had to buy Turnstiles, Piano Man and Streetlife Serenade. Those albums were the best stuff Joel ever did. He still did really good stuff on 52nd Street and Glass Houses, but for me, that was it. I never bought another Billy Joel album after Glass Houses.

Bands and singers have their runs. But none of them last forever. Sad, but true.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You guys would be right if not for the fact that BNL has done next to nothing since "One Week" despite putting out more albums than they did before that song.

It's not that it's a crappy song. It's a good, fun song. It's also very perfect for that moment in time with all the pop-culture references. But the fact remains that BNL's success came from everything they did before it and nothing they did after it.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've always been impressed with BNL's whimsy, humor, musicianship etc. Everything from Enid (which is tons o' fun karaoke-style) to When you dream to Falling for the first time to Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel. Sucks that they'll have a new make up. It's like a Gallagher brother leaving Oasis.

Draft saved Draft deleted