1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been one week since I've smoked some weed...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Jul 16, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Oh, yeah. That's going to go over REAL well.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Son of a BITCH.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I thought this was a Michael Phelps thread.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This actually makes me very sad. Although I've always enjoyed Ed Robertson, Steven Page, to me, is Barenaked Ladies. His voice is one of the most unique in music, and while it's obvious he's struggled with some depression issues over the course of his life, I always felt like his ability to blend together humor and pathos never quite got the respect it deserved. To a lot of people, BNL is kind of jokey band, those guys who put out "One Week" and nothing else worth listening too. But to anyone who ever listened to the larger catalog, they were much, much more. (I really dislike One Week, and I think most BNL fans do.) I still think "Old Apartment" and "What A Good Boy" are two of my favorite love longs, both of which are pretty much all Page.

I've sort of lost interest in their more recent stuff, but this is still a bummer.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, I'm sure Seth Rogen has wound up with two women at some point. So I suppose Stephen Page could conceivably, too.

(Oh, he was smoking a doob too? Even better.)

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

WFW.

8. imjustagirl

My favorite BNL song is easily "Call and Answer." I'm not crazy about One Week, but my favorite of their stupid songs was Pinch Me.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

"One Week" signaled the end of BNL, if you ask me. Their catalog is filled with dynamite songs, like the ones you mentioned. Off the top of my head I can name "It's All Been Done", "Brian Wilson", "Old Apartment", "If I Had A Million Dollars", "Be My Yoko Ono", and "Jane". There's many more.

"One Week" was an attempt to recreate "Million Dollars". It was the cliff that BNL fell drove over. They've been a cover band of themselves since. And now they are over.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One Week is an awesome song. It's not the song's fault people saw the band differently or its audience got wider and they tried to adjust to it, or maybe that was the extent of what they had to give creatively. I hate it when people blame a group or artist's demise on a hit song.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I agree with that whole-heartedly. A band's greatest hit, by definition, has greater mass appeal than anything else it's done before. So, it's a little disingenious to suggest that a band's greatest hit was its jumping-the-shark moment. It had to be one of the band's greatest moments.

12. imjustagirl

Depends on your definition of great. I have seen several bands lament what came after their "one big hit" because the label wanted them to reproduce that song, and they lost the essence of what they are.

It happens often. So while the first part of your statement is right on, that their biggest hit has more mass appeal, I wouldn't necessarily equate that with greatest unless you're talking only in record sales.

Draft saved Draft deleted