1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been a while since I've started a car thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes...
    [​IMG]

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I guess there's always barber's college.

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

You're the customer.

4. Vombatus

Cmon sp, you're not thinking INSIDE the box here. Gigolo services. A couple tricks on backpage, and bada-boom, you've got a couple car payments made. Maybe a few steak dinners too.

5. Smallpotatoes

That's the way I look at it. I guess they see it differently.

6. Smallpotatoes

Another thing that worries me is that maybe the gap coverage company could deny my claim because I use my car at work to travel to various events that I have to cover. They asked how often I did this and asked for a percent of my car's use. I guessed 30 or 40. They also ask if I claim my car as a business expense on my taxes. I don't.
    I also got into the accident while going home, not while I was working.
    Does anyone here have extra insurance because you use your car during the course of work (like an Uber driver) and should I have done that?

7. Vombatus

Man, most of us use our cars to commute for work, several days a week, for most of the 52 weeks each year.

You are not using the car for hire, a la Uber. That's an apples / oranges comparison.

Your gap insurance folks sound like assholes. Stick to your guns.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Newspapers cover you for business travel, or should. as the paper could be liable if you get in a wreck while covering a story. Shouldn't spply to traveling him for the night, though.

9. Smallpotatoes

I ran the numbers the other night. While I'd very strongly prefer that the gap insurance pay off the difference, it might not be too bad if they don't. If the bank doesn't insist on me paying it off in one lump sum, the difference is about $723. Making my normal payments, I could take care of that in three months. It will be a little tough while paying for the next car, but it will only be three months.
    The other issue that worries me is that I had to roll the balance on the Neon's loan into this loan. I'm not sure if I could be denied for that reason.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

11. Smallpotatoes

The 20 percent down payment and four-year loan is a good idea. I just don't have time for that right now.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  12. Smallpotatoes

Another thing that amuses me is how the bank with which I have the loan has a web site that cannot be accessed during certain hours. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of online banking, does it not?

Draft saved Draft deleted