1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been a while since I've started a car thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2016.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the wildlife hits you. In my case, a drunk driver totaled two cars, one of which was mine, at the same time in late February. Both cars were parked in front of the building and unoccupied at the time. I was at my desk writing a story and heard the impact. It knocked the car behind me into the back of mine.

Like so: 12800157_10156584604625331_4750864121336705854_n.jpg 12801396_10156584604560331_3621198924053236718_n.jpg

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Is that some cash and a burner in your trunk?

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Um, no...

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Our daughter's friend was driving our car and swerved to avoid a deer.

We would have had a no fault if she had hit the deer as that is the proof the insurance company needs.

More importantly she could have been seriously hurt when the car went into the ditch. All the airbags deployed and some front molding damaged resulted in a year old Nissan Pathfinder being written off.

I think you should swerve to avoid a moose. If you hit it you take out its legs and the torso goes right thru your windshield.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So that explains your "like" of my post from seven years ago.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Smallp,

Have you considered suing the deer?

I do hope this works out for you, but be aware that one of the requirements of your job may be to be in the office or to have transportation to cover events, etc.

So unless the boss gives you a 10-day pass, I would do what you can to get out and about where you need to be, however you can.

Good luck.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Have you looked into stealing a car?

Ace likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can't imagine my reflexes being fast enough to discern the proper mass of the animal in front of me that I'm about a handful of nanoseconds from hitting and thus making the proper calculation of "hit" or "avoid".

My reflexes simply say "don't hit things." So I'd probably swerve, to whatever detriment my decision takes me.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Except pigeons. We have a deal with the pigeons. They get out of the way of our cars, we look the other way on the statue defecation.

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

They could also be carrying an important message that someone is waiting for.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The adjuster called. It looks like they'll pay about $1,000 less than the amount left on the loan.
    I just need some documents from the insurance company and the bank to get to the gap insurance people.

Draft saved Draft deleted