1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been a while since I've started a car thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That seems impossible.

Oh, I guess the "payments" can be the same per month if the loan term is tweaked enough. But I can't imagine the loan term for a car with a few years on it being the same as one for a new car (assuming the models are equal).

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Had family in to drive down for elder DaughterQuant's graduation this weekend, so I rented an extra car so we'd have ample passenger capacity. Was in the Hertz office on Friday morning when in comes a young (30-ish) guy ready to turn in his rental. They tell him he owes close to $500, and he about snaps a cap. "They told me they'd pay for 30 days!" "No, they said they'd pay for up to 30 days while your car was being repaired. Your car was finished on May 4." "But they said 30 days."

I swear, as it went on (he was still there when I left), I kept waiting for him to say, "But this one goes to 11."

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Buy. Leases usually have mileage limits and I tend to drive a little more than most people.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Four-squared!

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm extraordinarily happy you weren't in your old Neon, because it and you would have likely disintegrated on impact.

I know this sucks, but think back to how much better shape you are in compared to a few years ago. Best of luck.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Yeah, a little short-term inconvenience, but it should be OK soon enough. The other day I read something that said if there's no time to stop, the best thing you can do is hit the deer. If you swerve to try to avoid it, it could turn out much worse for you.
    I guess I did the right thing after all.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was it this?

Why you should hit deer on the road...

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I swear by purchasing dealer loaner vehicles. They usually put them on the lot with about 10,000 miles and you'll save several thousand dollars over a brand-new model. Only downside is that they tend to be pretty basic, so forget having navigation or other bells and whistles.

Also nice are corporate leased vehicles. They tend to be driven by responsible adults and get returned to the dealer with 12K-15K miles on them. Then you get them at a sizable discount over a brand-new model. Best way to tell is to ask for the CARFAX (which you should always, always do when buying a used car).

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just went through this myself. My wife was driving our trusty 2008 Chevy Cobalt (185K miles and going strong) when she had a wreck. Car was totaled. We have USAA and they paid for 10 days worth of a rental while we looked for a new vehicle. They also gave us a settlement for the Cobalt that was, honestly, far more than we could have gotten if we'd simply sold it. We were able to put $3K down on a 2014 Toyota Prius with 41K on it. I was skeptical of buying a hybrid at first, but all the research we did, and everyone we talked to said the Prius was one of the best cars on the road today, especially when you factor in gas mileage. We've had now a little over two months and we love it.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I bought my Lexus hybrid (liked the ride) because my mechanic, who I've trusted with both our cars for the past 6-7 yrs, said that he never gets to do anything on a hybrid except an oil change and change interior filters because the drivetrain is so reliable.

11. Smallpotatoes

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just told my son (while he's got his permit) that whatever wildlife is in front of him on the road, always, always run it over and do not swerve or make a move out of the lane. Because of this.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted