1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been a while since I've started a car thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm now without a car. Unlike the Dodge Neon, the 2011 Toyota Corolla I've driven since October of 2012 was actually quite good.
    Other than routine maintenance and the gas line freezing on a brutally cold day in February, 2015, I never really had any problems.
    Everything changed late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. Driving home from work, a deer ran out in front of me. By the time I saw it, it was way too late. Maybe I could have or should have seen it earlier but it was just so dark I couldn't. The air bags deployed. If not for them and the seat belt, I doubt I'd be here right now. The front end was extensively damaged. The windshield wasn't broken. The deer died shortly after the accident.
    A went to the hospital just to make sure nothing was wrong. They let me go after about two hours and I took a cab home (It was really my only option).
    A few days later, the appraiser called and told me the car was a total loss, as I expected it might be.
    I have gap coverage so I can pay off the loan. The claim was filed under comprehensive, so there will be no surcharge or at least that's what my agent told me.
    The only downside is that my insurance will not pay for a rental and around here, rentals cost about $30 a day more than they did the last time I needed one so if it's going to be a while before I get another car, that could add up to a lot.
    I'm hoping to get another car by the end of the month. I'm not sure how it will go over at work. I can do some stuff from home, writing and production work, though it's kind of frowned upon. I can't cover anything for a while.
    I must admit, I'm a little worried about keeping my job.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry about the accident. Glad you're OK.

The end of the month is 10 days from now. Your paper can't be understanding about 10 days?

3. Smallpotatoes

I hope they can be.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Why did you not purchase car rental coverage? Anyway, you can rent a car for less than $40/day near you and probably get a better weekly rate.

As for getting places, use Uber or Lyft.

5. Smallpotatoes

That's a good question. I don't remember declining the rental coverage or even being given the choice when I signed up. I've checked a few rental places around here and they're all $70 a day or so.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

A weekly rental rate should be the cost of 5 or 6 days, and could carry you into Memorial Day weekend.

Also, this might be farfetched, but if you go to a dealer / used car lot, explain your situation, that you would like to do business with them but would like a week to test a few cars and not rush into anything, maybe they can arrange for some kind of "extended test drive" for you and let you try out a couple of cars overnight over the course of a week. Stupid idea - maybe, but get creative. You don't want to lose your job over this. Best wishes.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What about some combination of cabs/Uber and public transportation?

8. Smallpotatoes

Cabs and Uber can cost a lot. It was $32 from the hospital to home.
    Public transportation could help me get to and from the office. It would just take a long time. I'd have to take the subway into the city, then a commuter rail train out to the town where I work. The station is about a 15-20-minute walk from where I work. If the weather isn't bad and I don't mind a few hours added on to my day that could be all right.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you're near Boston, you can get a car for $225/week.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Also, not sure what paper you work for, but you might be able to get a rental at a corporate rate.

11. Smallpotatoes

Not sure I could afford that right now.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rentals do seem to have gone up a bunch. I wound up going with Silvercar last time because they were offering first day free, and I only needed one for 3 days. Paid less for an Audi 4 than other companies were offering for much lesser cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted