1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been 24 hours, and bin Laden is still dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Most people do not have rigid either-or opinions on complex moral and ethical issues and they shouldn't. In practice, as indicated by the number of homicides-number of executions ratio, most U.S. citizens are reluctant to impose death sentences unless they feel the person really really really deserved it.
    I'd argue that's about as humane as one can expect our very violent society to get. I also believe OBL qualifies under that informal statute.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To relate that point to the death penalty, domestically:

I saw a study once that concluded that every execution deters eight other murders.

I've also seen studies that conclude that the death penalty doesn't deter at all. Which can't be right.

3. Other than the fact that is now coming out he didn't have a gun?
    And reports that it was a kill mission from the get go?

At any rate... I'm done and moving on.

4. Dick Whitman

Why are you so hell-bent on proving that I'm a "hypocrite"? I'm a pretty earnest, honest person. Disagreeing with me is one thing. The "H" word is a character judgment, and I don't really appreciate that. You can argue that someone's worldview isn't consistent without the character judgment becoming a part of it. Frankly, it's disheartening, because I've been the first person on here to argue over and over and over again that conservatives are not hypocritical when they are called out for various things (like being against abortion but for the death penalty, or for being for limited government but against abortion). There is an internal logic to what I'm saying here, but you just refuse to acknowledge it.

All I said was that you have to look at it from the standpoint of the soldier in the middle of the firefight. Think about it like a police officer in a chaotic situation. I am quite sure that there have been times when police have shot an unarmed person, but been cleared of wrongdoing because, in the middle of the situation, at the time it happened, he acted reasonably.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

GODDAMMIT!!! CAM NEWTON IS NOT A FIRST-ROUND TALENT!!!!

Shit. Wrong thread...

6. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

To those of you either spreading or believing the right wing's "torture worked!" meme: No, it didn't.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/how-republicans-are-claiming-credit-for-the-death-of-osama-bin-laden.php?ref=fpblg

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Too late.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Add Patriot Act/ Gitmo/ Torture to the hypocrisy. Eric Holder must be beside himself.

Label me not surprised.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think the reactions of people toward bin Laden are more in line with who they really are. It's all those other times when they're being hypocritical and dishonest.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Unless Plan 9 was put in place, Bin Laden is still dead.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They had a montage on Kimmel last night of all of the newscasters who kept calling Osama "Obama"

One woman did it about 10 times during a broadcast.

12. Dick Whitman

I'm always shocked at how people are that incapable of saying the two names. I was at a Wendy's eating yesterday, the day after the news broke, and some old lady talking to her friend next to me was stumbling like crazy - and was sincerely frustrated - over getting her Obamas and Osamas straight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.