1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its always been my dream

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bsizzle_77, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why would you wish that upon anyone?

You might as well have said Abilene Christian, especially because it has different swimming sessions for boys and girls.

2. With all you guys telling him not to be a sportswriter, I'm just wondering do you really hate your job a lot or are you joking?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wasn't joking.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i were entering college next fall, i would NOT choose journalism as a major.

there is no punchline.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I would, but only if I was still married to my wife - who is a nurse and the breadwinner - who makes three times as much as I do.
    Or maybe I would major in nursing, though that would require me to look at feces and blood more than I'd like to.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what did your wife start out at first year out of college? about $22 an hour?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes, right about there.

Edit so Petty's following post makes sense: I guess you could go back to school for nursing to make lots of coin, but then you would have to deal with a lot of blood and feces.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

up with feces and blood, then.

9. bsizzle_77

bsizzle_77 New Member

Thanks for all of your input. I have some expierence, im the sports editor for my school newspaper and I have been published in are local newspaper a few times but I was wondering on a more personal note. How does the demands of this job affect your family life?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

During football season I only see my wife one day a week.

11. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

That's a really good question, and one that most people would never think about when they were 18. I sure didn't. Until I was 24, it was, "Relationships be damned, I'm going to be a media superstar!"

Two words to remember - Football. Beat. Limited travel. A lot of day-time hours. You'll work six or seven days a week during the season, but you'll usually be home by 8 or 9 if you play it right on most nights.

12. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

i never steer young people away from this career. but i try to ensure they go in with eyes wide open. meaning, it's a job, it's work, it's nights and weekends, it's not a lot of money, it's podunk towns.

nowadays, i also have to throw in State of the Industry concerns that didn't exist 20 years ago.

all that said, you've got to do something for a living.

Draft saved Draft deleted