1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's About Race Stupid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My theory is that the Clinton's have made a concious effort to make the Democrat primaries about race. I find the manner in which our ex prez has been conducting himself has been very unbecoming. It appears others think so also:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2004141629&zsection_id=2003956730&slug=apclintonrace23&date=20080123

ON DEADLINE: Clinton Makes Race an Issue

By RON FOURNIER
    Associated Press Writer

Bill Clinton says race shouldn't be an issue in the Democratic presidential campaign. Well, then perhaps he should stop talking about it.

The caustic politics of race and gender took center stage in the Democratic race Wednesday as a combative Clinton campaigned on behalf of his wife, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, and lashed out at the rival Barack Obama campaign and the media for focusing on race.

But it was Clinton himself who dished on the topic when he told an audience in Charleston that he was proud of the Democratic Party for having a woman and a black candidate. In response to a question from a crowd member who asked about "race-baiting" by the media, Clinton said he understands why Obama is drawing support among blacks, who are expected to comprise at least half the primary turnout.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Meanwhile, women should vote for a woman because she's a woman?

Great.

3. Boom_70

I think that is part of Clinton plan - they have decided to jettison the black vote and make a push for the womens vote- which they see as a greater # of potential votes.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hillary will get the black vote back in the general election.

The strategy she and Bill are succeeding at is pulling Obama offsides and forcing him to defend himself and take potshots back. Thus taking Obama off message.

That's what some of us hepcats call "getting schooled."

6. Boom_70

yea but it does not make it right. It highlights how disingenuous the Clinton's really are.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Well, yeah. Who are the blacks (as a broad group) going to vote for? Romney? Make me laugh.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Why not? Romney let the dawgs out!

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Barf, barf.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boom, I'll readily grant you that. This race is way too ugly at a time when the Democratic Party needs unity.

But I still believe you have issues with the Clintons that goes way beyond this particular campaign.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boom = Kenneth Starr

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I don't know if the Clintons will get as many black votes in the general election as they would have before this all started. It's more likely blacks will stay home and become disenfranchised because the candidate they voted for in the primary got railroaded by bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted