1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a Wonderful Life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot there were cops who worked as partners and were named Bert and Ernie in the movie.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

My wife just said the same thing. "Bert . . and Ernie?"

I know it's cheese . . .but that slice of Americana gets me every time. I like the movie. It doesn't hurt that Donna Reed is second only to Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in the pantheon of incredibly attractive women from classic films of decades ago.

My favorite line from the film's wikipedia page:

"One motion picture industry source reported to the FBI in 1947 that the movie resembled Communist propaganda in its making a banker the most despised person in the story."

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"Hey, Mr. Martini -- how about some wine?"

4. Johnny Dangerously

5. Johnny Dangerously

Bert and Ernie reference just now on "Cheers." This is getting spooky.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Just finished watching it on NBC. The last five minutes get me every time. :'( :'(

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, pretty much the dumbest line in the movie...

"hey bitch, we just gave you 25 grand. There's no apron on my body or glass in my hand... get yer own damn wine..."

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

yep. same here. talk about a tearjerker no matter how many times it's shown.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was far better when it would pop up late on Christmas eve on some obscure station instead of NBC getting its hooks into it and stretched it out

One of the other bonuses of CBC... Christmas eve, like three interuptions the whole time for a minute each.... not bound by the FCC...

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Problem was, it was popping up late on Christmas Eve . . . and about 23,000 times before that in a 30-day span.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Buy the DVD and watch it when you want.
    I refuse to be a slave to TV.

12. To my big brother George, the richest man in town.

Draft saved Draft deleted