1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"It's a Wonderful Life" TV alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 16, 2006.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Too bad.

You would have loooooved the parody they played on the Stephanie Miller show, where an angel shows George (Bush, not Bailey) how wonderful the world would have been had he never been born.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Me, too. Every time.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I liked the Beavis and Butt-head "how much better life would be if you weren't born" parody.

Beavis (working in a soup kitchen with Stuart and meeting Butt-head for the first time): What's a bunghole?
    Butt-head: You're a bunghole, bunghole!

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The SNL parody of around 1985 or 1986 was pretty good.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Cannot get into the Christmas spirit every year until I see IAWL.
    "I wish a had a million dollars. Hot dog!"
    "Say brainless, don't you know where coconuts come from?"
    "A pox upon me lady, for being a lout! Your, uh, caboose, m'lady."
    "...and dance by the light of the mooooooon, whaaaaat d'you wish when you threw that rooooooock?"
    "Say, Mary, are.. are you on the nest?"
    "Out you go, through the door or the window! Uh, would you show these gentlemen to the door?"
    "My mouth's bleedin' Bert! My mouth's bleedin'!"
    "I busta da jukebox!"
    One of the great, sentimental old classics that will never die. Merry Christmas, everyone!

6. Frank Capra screened a showing of the movie at my college and did a guest lecture after it. He was great to listen to, although my idiot roommate embarrassed Capra by gushing about the movie during his question.

My kids especially like the Bert and Ernie reference.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I liked the "Married With Children" version. Sam Kinison played Al's guardian angel and Ted McGinley (pre-Jefferson D'Arcy) played the guy Peggy would have married had Al not been born. Peggy was a devoted and loving wife, Kelly was intelligent and virtuous and Bud was committed to always doing the right thing.

Al decided he had to return because he resented their happiness without him. It was priceless when he realized that he did in fact have his family back:

Al: "Bud, what's more important, love or money?"

Bud: "Money's more important. I can always rent love."

Al: "Kelly, what colour is an orange?"

Kelly: "Is this a trick question?"

8. pallister

pallister Guest

What the hell is the Stephanie Miller show?

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Liberal morning radio show. Stephanie is the daughter of William Miller, Barry Goldwater's running mate in '64.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Who obviously has an intimate appreciation for how good the Republican party USED to be.

It's an entertaining show. Has Flintstones sound effects and the best voice impressionist I've heard in a while.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I know the show; I just don't think it's well known outside of the liberal talk radio listening crowd (and conservatives whose curiosity makes them tune in from time to time).

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I think we may have found someone older than Spnited. Just curious. When was that? IMDB has him dying in 1991, but he was 94.

Draft saved Draft deleted