1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a War on Christmas, Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Dec 18, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In my kids' schools, concerts this time of year are called "Winter" or "Holiday" concerts. It's mostly, but not exclusively, Christmas-themed music, but they usually will have one or two African-esque pieces, one or two Hannukah pieces, and one or two completely secular pieces (e.g., "Finlandia"). As I understand it, they remain in compliance by: 1) not being exclusively Christmas; and 2) making the performances part of the academic study of music.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Would someone finally refute our fave Bircher O_T on the fall break issue, please

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There was a specific description of "fall break" in the link he himself posted in an attempt to disprove its existence.

It has now transcended the mere mortals at SJ.

PS -- Good to see you!

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We are universally blessed, right? I read it in my science book.

[​IMG]

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic. And thanks.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sam Adams is advertising Oktoberfest beer, the grocery stores are stocking Halloween candy. The Preparation for the War on Christmas is coming.

The War has a curious genesis. The people that brought you Thanksgiving are the people who started the War on Christmas.Christmas in Puritan New England - Wikipedia

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll be in France for Christmas. La Guerre a Noel?

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Revisiting Fall Break for just a moment. The first time I had a protracted time out of school was in 1992 at a uni in Kentucky. I was told it coincided with people going home to help with tobacco auctions, which in turn paid for tuition, etc.

A few years later, it seemed like everyone in the southeast had Fall Break.

Draft saved Draft deleted