1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a War on Christmas, Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I bow in your general direction.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except that the winter break has little to do with the holidays any more. There is also a spring break. Even the studies calling for year-round school stress the importance of mixing in breaks. So, wrong again, tony.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Funny how "winter break" and "spring break" both started as Christmas and Easter breaks.

But if you're so sold on all these breaks, why isn't there a "fall break?"

Don't want the religious connotation? Don't take the "break."

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Some schools have fall breaks. Facts aren't your strong point. Not surprising.

5. old_tony

Two out of 98,817 is a real groundswell. Thanks for pointing that out.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A lot of schools around here do have one. Instead of going for two or 2 1/2 days the week of Thanksgiving, they take the whole week off.

When I was in high school, I remember they started experimenting with that as well. November was a mishmash of off days that never really let you get in a flow. We had a half-day for election day, followed by two days off for a teacher convention and Veterans Day Nov. 8-12 that resulted in a five-day weekend. Then we went the next 11 schools days until a half-day the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and a four-day weekend. So we had one full week of school the entire month.
    Eventually, someone said screw it and combined a couple of the off days into a fall break.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We have the full week off at Thanksgiving. And the district next to us has that and a fall break. And our spring break is not tied to Easter -- it often coincides, but not when Easter is particularly early or late.

BTW tony wants to see summer break end too, because that was put in to allow kids to work the fields.

8. old_tony

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There is a fall break. They named it after the guy who discovered something that had already been discovered.

10. outofplace

Except it doesn't work that way. I know you wish you could force your religion on everybody else. Sadly, you are in the wrong country for that. Perhaps you should move.

11. old_tony

I'm not pushing religion on anyone. I'm telling you to not piggyback on religious holidays if you hate religion so much.It shows you to be a major hypocrite.

12. outofplace

Tony, please stop trolling the thread. Even you know better than this. Saying religion does not belong in public schools is not the same thing as hating religion.

There is no hypocrisy at all in my point of view, especially given the details that have been explained to you on this thread. Easter does not fall during spring break in many places. Breaks are going to be part of the school year whether they are related to holidays or not. And your argument completely ignores the summer break.

More importantly, I don't choose the times for a break. You don't like it? Take it up with your local school district.

Read my sig. He explains it better than I do. I get that it is beyond you to feel empathy for somebody who practices a different faith from yours, but at least try. Even you might learn something.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted