1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a small world after all

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So I'm on Facebook this morning and one of my friends updated her status. There were several comments. One of them was from JDV. Seriously. I'm not making that up.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, like a moth to a flame, I looked.
    He has nearly 1,300 friends, 44 videos, 64 photos and most of all, is "2-3 times stronger genetically than a normal man without doing anything (obivously stronger when I train)."

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I was 11, I was in the chorus for a play in Hebrew School. When I saw my parents after the show, a guy came up to them and said he recognized my dad.

The guy was my Dad's camp counselor when Dad was 6-years-old. He recognized him and remembered him 35 years later.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I was going to post this story earlier, but never got around to it.

Growing up, there was a family that lived around the corner from us. I was friends with the older sister. My sister was friends with the younger sister. We went to the same schools from first through twelfth grades.

Anyway, we all went off to different colleges. Last time I saw any of the sisters was in 1996. I don't have Facebook. My sister does, but I'm sure she has none of the sisters on her Facebook.

Anyway, I now live three hours from where we all grew up. I'm in a pretty large city.

I'm assigned an H1N1 story; told to go down to one of the free clinics where they're vaccinating people. It was the first day, the line was long - hundreds waiting.

I'm walking along and there is the sister who used to chum around with my sister waiting in line. We chatted, got caught up, it was cool.

She lives here. Is a teacher. Has a kid and another on the way.

Small world.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

After getting comfortable here in town a few years ago, went to the local watering hole after a late shift in the office, forgot to take off my badge. The bartender sees it, asks what I do at the newspaper. Tell him sports, that i've moved around a lot for my job, etc. He asks where I used to live in Maryland ... and it turns out I interviewed him for a playoff soccer game back in the late 90s.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

When I was in high school, there was a girl, Colleen, who I was decent friends with because she at some point dated the four other guys I grew up with in my neighborhood. That was our only association, so by junior year of high school, we had drifted apart.

She added me as a friend on Facebook a few weeks back and when I'm looking through her profile to see what became of her - nothing, I don't think - a photo caught my eye.

It was part of a photo album of her trip to Ireland. She was drinking with a girl named Rosslyn, who was from Ireland. Rosslyn studied abroad in the USA for six months a few years back and sublet a room in an apartment from my girlfriend.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT one's awesome.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

when I came to my current job, I met a copy editor who had been briefly at my first paper more than 20 yearbefore

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One other one: I worked in two cities in the Northern Plains before moving to Microville. My best friend from city 1, and a former girlfriend from city 2, who did not know each other, both moved to Minneapolis, several years apart.

One lived on Upton, the other on Vincent, south of Lake Harriet. Since Minneapolis streets are named in alphabetical order, their back lawns abutted and they ended up knowing each other.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My family and I were at the Field Museum while on vacation in Chicago, and ran into a friend from our church and her daughters.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A couple of years ago I had a student in my media writing class who turned out to be the daughter of my publisher at my first newspaper job.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Resurrecting this thread because I've got another great one.

I went to a new dentist early last week - a guy who set up shop down the street from me in this giant warehouse of a building. I checked him out, came fairly highly recommended, so I figured I'd give him a shot, because my old dentist was a few towns away and I was tired of driving 45 minutes out there.

I get to talking with the guy and he asks where I went to school. Big State U, I say. He said that's neat, asked if I liked it, and that his son is in his last year of medical school there. He mentions that his son has the same name I do.

Later on in the night, around 9:30 p.m., I'm driving home on the highway from an assignment and it's pouring rain. I'm about a half hour from home. Buckets upon buckets of water are falling, and it's hard to see in front of me. I do see, however, a guy spin out and smash into the guardrails. I'm the only guy on the highway that I see, and I put on my flashers, run over, try to check on the guy to see if he's OK.

He crawls out of the car, which is just crushed. Bumper in the road, other one thrown off to the other side of the guardrail, which looked like blocked a swamp or some other body of water. He's understandably upset, but a little bit more shaken than anything. He mentions that he goes to Big State U medical school, was studying for an exam and going home to my town.

Then he mentions he has the same name as me. So of course, I ask the question.

Yep. It was his son.

Draft saved Draft deleted