1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a peace loving religion, 'cept for the 5,000 women killed annually

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Re: It's a peace loving religion. Really, it is. Honestly.

Actually, honor killings and suicides are common among extreme Hindu sects too.
    Carry on.

And I guess it was a bad idea to go knocking over secular dictatorships and hand countries over to the radical Shi'a aligned with Iran.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: It's a peace loving religion. Really, it is. Honestly.

It's wrong and abhorrent no matter who's carrying out these killings or encouraging suicides. But I suppose we have to excuse Muslims just because you can find scattered examples of the same behavior in other cultures. Doesn't make any of it right.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It is abhorent.  As is the killing of doctors who perform abortions.  But we don't blame the religion for the acts of fanatics.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Killing doctors who perform abortions is wrong, to say the least. But the number of "honor killings" in one week, month or year dwarfs the relatively few number of killings related to abortions. Since the looney caught in North Carolina, name one...Right now, name one.

It's not even in the same solar system.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

hondo --

And I genuinely ask this, with whatever low level of respect I can muster but with a genuine interest in the answer:

Have you ever sat down and considered whether you're racist or not. I mean, really considered it?

I did a few years ago, and concluded that I probably was, to one extent or another. And I genuinely worked to correct that, and I think I have to a certain extent.

I ask because I don't think you're trolling, but rather that you have a deep-seated dislike of both these actions and the people who perform them. And maybe your language shows that lazy thinking has allowed that to develop into a dislike for those who look like them or worship like them.

I'm not making an accusation. Jut wondering if you've ever debated it in your own head.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm not a racist. I just have a hard time with people who are sworn to either kill or subjugate myself and anyone else who won't worship or live as they do. If you deny that is taking place in this world today, then you have your head buried in the sand. I don't even think it's the majority of Muslims--not even close. It's a very tiny minority, as I've written on this board many times. But that tiny minority sure does manage to cause a lot of mayhem in the world.

Ask the families of any 9-11 victims if they're racist.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, the first part is a legitimate answer, though it doesn't tell me if you ever sat down and considered the possibility.

Two follow-up questions.

Why title the thread like you did?

Why bring up the 9-11 families? Are the families of the victims of Oklahoma City less deserving of your compassion because you don't choose to be afraid of white extremists? Are their family members less dead?

9/11 was terrible. It wasn't the first, or the last, massacre for partially religous reasons.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo's a one trick pony.

What he knows about Islam could fit on an index card.

On one hand,he says, "it's a minority" and  on the other hand, it's the "Islamic religion."

And then he goes on about "honour killings". You doofus, honour killings have been around since Chirist was a cowboy--in practically every religion.

Keep looking over your shoulder, Hondo. I'm sure those awful brown people are out to kill you and your family.

Fucking pathetic.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

A text message?
    He told her to kill herself in a TEXT MESSAGE?

Wow.

10. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

JR- the Islam apoligist Czar
    Are you seriously denying that extremists among the Islamic sect are not hell bent on destroying life as we know it in the US?

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

now that made me laugh my ass off...

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, just watch for the extremists who want to destroy every other culture different from theirs.

Draft saved Draft deleted