1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"It's a number"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 15, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Re: "Its's a number"

I'll not waste my time with the child. I just don't see the point.

But back to the original point here -- Snow's "It's a number" quote.

Yes, it is a number. It's the number of mostly kids who lived 18 to 25 years of their lives before being killed for no reason at all. It's the number of Americans -- AMERICANS -- who were sent to their deaths because the guy in the White House thought he was more electable during war time. It's the number of young men and women who will either never have kids or will never see their kids grow up because, oops, we miscalculated. It's the number of U.S. soldiers who died without ever knowing why they were fighting.

But most importantly, it's the number of murders committed by George W. Bush. And in a fair and just world, which is what these soldiers signed up to fight for and protect, he'd be tried for every single one of them.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

It's NOT the number of murders committed by George W. Bush. If you count the deaths caused on the "enemy" side and by the health problems cause by worry and grieving from the war, the number of murders committed is much, much, much higher.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't know if you'd ever get a murder conviction for all those, but hey, I'm fine with giving it a shot.

But these 2,500, they come first.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hey, when a government lies and spins like little substance-abuse-victim's has . . . a lotta newbies get sucked in.

There are other glaring histoical examples of this.

5. Re: "Its's a number"

Somehow, FantasyA's original post reminded me of this:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0023969/Ss/0023969/fcstil_0286.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0023969

"Freedonia's going to war...to war..to war..."

6. Re: "Its's a number"

On the other hand, here's a guy with a lot less excuse than our newbie has:

Rep. Gohmert: Let me close by saying some have not had nice things to say about our colleague Mr. Murtha, and others wanting to pull out of Iraq quickly. I understand the faithful visitation that he does routinely. So i say thank god for his big heart. I say thank god for his compassion. Thank god for his visits to the wounded. Thank god for his ministering to grieving families. But thank god he was not here and prevailed after the bloodbaths at Normandy and in the Pacific or we would be here speaking Japanese or German. Thank you.

On the floor of the House of Representatives.
    Jesus wept.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't believe there should be a withdrawl schedule, either . . . but, Christ, what an idiot.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Say what you will, F_B, but this is the reason the Republicans are winning.

They play to their audience by keeping things in simple terms and they manage to come up with a catchy little rebuttal to every reasoned statement.

This guy says something about speaking Japanese or German to slander the only man in the room who should be talking, this other guy dispells the logical statement that Iraq has nothing to do with 9-11 by saying we're fighting them over there instead of here. Simple. That's the key.

That should be the Dems slogan from here on out -- Keep it simple.

Every time this war is brought up by a Republican, the Dems should shout and scream and jump up and down about a draft. Every time terrorism is mentioned, the Dems should scream out Osama bin Laden's name.

Yeah, some might consider it stooping, but it's not -- not when you're winning.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Oh. And I thought it was because they know how to run a campaign.

Thanks for setting me straight on that, absurdo dogturdo.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No problem, polo. God knows you need all the help you can get.

11. Re: "Its's a number"

http://icasualties.org/oif/US_NAMES.aspx

Not just a number, I guess.

12. Re: "Its's a number"

If this war wasn't going so well, we might have 5,000+ people dead, Zarqawi still alive, Saddam still in power, and no government set up.

Draft saved Draft deleted