1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"It's a number"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 15, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Interesting point, BTE. In a way, you can compare it to how America was during or after 9/11 -- in a vast majority of cities, nothing really HAPPENED outside of people freaking out -- rightfully so, of course -- but nothing HAPPENED. There was destruction that we all knew about, talked about, despaired about, and there were friends and family that we worried ourselves sick about ... but in my town (and a majority of towns), I didn't SEE the destruction myself. It was like a movie, not like real life. I saw it on TV. I saw it in pictures, read about it in the paper, heard about it from people there. But I didn't SEE it myself. It affected my life -- it'll affect me forever -- but in an abstract way, an internal way.

People in New York, D.C. and Pennsylvania, or who had family or friends there, of course, have a different perspective. But for most people who WEREN'T involved -- it's there but it's not. Kinda like Iraq. It was there ... but it's not.

(God, I hope people don't take that the wrong way. But I know somebody will.)

2. Buck I was in Washington on 9/11, and you're an asshole.

Well not really. Perhaps both of those statements are true,( I know the first one is), but they're not related. Good post.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Re: "Its's a number"

Republican talking point No. 1: Always compare the Iraqi War to World War II.

But Henry missed the note about never mentioning the Civil War, since that is what Iraq is in right now. No need for those comparisons.
    Iraq is a war of choice, plain and simple. Bush made this bed, but the next president will be the one that has to sleep in it.
    Here's an unfiltered report on how Iraq is doing right now. Enjoy...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/16/AR2006061601768.html
    Note: the cable is a pdf document

4. In 100 years, people are going to read comparisons with this war and WWII and conclude that we were all on mushrooms.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course there is no comparison.

We fought in World War II for less than 4 years.

100 years from now, we'll still be fighting a counterinsurgency in Iraq.

Or so it seems.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We may come and go.

But Halliburton goes on and on.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: "Its's a number"

Yes, because all their original arguments have either been proven to be blatantly false or morally bankrupt. So they rely on their supporters' ignorance of history to maintain this argument.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And the ignorance of history is rampant. The majority of the righties here would be well-served by doing some serious
    background reading on 20th-century American foreign policy . . . then get back to us. Contrary to the belief of many,
    Ronnie Rayguns was NOT the first POTUS . . . ciao . . .

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Germany and Japan could/did surrender. Terrorists will never surrender.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He wasn't? He didn't chop down a cherry tree when he was a kid?

I don't know how many here have read the brilliant "Paris 1919" by Margaret MacMillan but that book is a good start to understanding the foundation of 20th century global politics.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, and Woodrow Wilson's idea is still a damn good one. If everyone would stop being so fucking selfish. Dammit. :mad:

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

True enough.

So the war never ends, then?

$2 billion every week into Iraq . . . forever?

Draft saved Draft deleted