1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a Depression, Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 7, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One of the highly paid on-air news readers in Denver just had his contract not renewed because of that. Gannett station, so no surprise there.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

A demonic possession couldn't stop Marlena. Surely, this won't either!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hear she's going for a ride with special guest star Vince Neil. [/cross-threading/too soon?]

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "Depression, you say? I can help with that."

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Donald Trump is currently getting sued by Deustche Bank for refusing to pay $40 million on a loan that he personally guaranteed. He's probably having some (relative) money troubles. But none of this is his fault! Which is why he is countersuing the bank for $3 billion. It's really the least they can do to make up for their wanton persecution of Donald Trump:

They loaned him $640 million to build a huge tower in Chicago. The banks set minimum prices for the apartments to sell for. Then the economy went to hell. Now it's time for Trump to pay his $40 mil. But he says, hey, since I can't control the fact that the economy went to hell, a contract clause says I don't have to pay:

That clause has a catch-all section covering “any other event or circumstance not within the reasonable control of the borrower,” and Mr. Trump figures that lets him out, even though construction is continuing.

“Would you consider the biggest depression we have had in this country since 1929 to be such an event? I would,” he said in an interview. “A depression is not within the control of the borrower.”

Nifty! He's quick to note that the people who bought the apartments at wildly inflated prices before the crash do not have any such clause, so they better pay him or else. Oh Donald, you're a cheeky asshole as usual. So is your lawyer:

Mr. Trump is vigilant in protecting his reputation. After I interviewed him and two associates, his general counsel sent me a note saying “it was a pleasure” talking to me, and adding: “Please be assured that if your article is not factually correct, we will have no choice but to sue you and The New York Times.”

http://gawker.com/5102555/donald-trump-breaks-out-the-d+word-now-that-he-owes-people-money

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My wife watches Guiding Light and it's now shot with what seem to be handheld 1990s vintage video cameras.

Anyone seen this? Snuff films have better production quality. Though it frees them from the studio and lets do outdoor shots, etc.

Kind of like Orson Welles freely shooting inside a Paris train station, only much, much dumber.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've seen this on the preview commercials, and it looks like crap. Then again, I stopped watching Guiding Light about 15 years ago.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Re: It's a Depression, Charlie Brown

That show is still on?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I loved that show in college.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Defriended.