1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's A Celebrity Birthday Babeeeee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

According to the ol' Page-A-Day, Dick Vitale is 71 today.

Happy Birthday, Dickie V. Hard to listen to sometimes but one hell of a guy.

No longer a Diaper Dandy, though he may be moving into the senior division of that soon!
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A Depends Dandy?
  3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Duke sent Coach K to pop out of a cake.
  4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Say what you want about the guy, but he definitely emanates a joie de vivre that few others can match. Happy b-day Dickie V.
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I've know Dick since I was a sophomore in high school -- when most people called him Richie -- his enthusiasm as a 26-year-old high school coach was exactly what it is now on the air.

Happy birthday to one of my favorite sports people.
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Met Vitale during the Apple Blossom Festival a handful of years ago. Couldn't have been nicer. I gave him my card (he asked for it for some reason) and two weeks later, I get a package in the mail. His book signed and personalized and a few other odds and ends. Good dude. Happy birthday.
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would give my right arm to have him speak to the teachers in my district. The guy can flat-out speak.

Shit, if Spnited gives him a thumbs up, how can anyone else bitch about him?
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's a super nice guy who does great by lowly scribes all the time.
  9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

He's an adult diaper dandy, baybeeeeeeee!
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This .... I was a weekly reporter covering a big men's D-I game when I met him and he treated me as well as he did Bob Ryan.

And while I might not enjoy his shouting as much as I used to, I admit, his energy is part of the reason I became a huge college hoops fan.

I understand the criticisms of him, but the fact that I believe his excitement and enjoyment of the game to be absolutely real makes it hard to dislike him the way some on here do. In some ways, I think some reporters could stand to get that enthusiasm back into their writing.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Gave me a good break when I needed it. Also imparted some wisdom I never forgot, along the lines of: "I don't tell other people how to raise their family. I have enough to do raising my own."

I did take issue with him years ago on ESPN lecturing incoming college hoopsters on the evils of material things while outfitted head to toe in a Nike tennis outfit.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That first part is sound advice ... second part doesn't sound like fair criticism ith ... So the guy likes to wear a Nike tennis outfit, what's the problem? It's not like he was wearing a giant diamond-encrusted "DV" necklace.

I don't consider myself a materialistic person in any sense of the word, but when I work out, I prefer to wear one of my several Nike dri-fit shirts. I find a regular cotton t-shirt uncomfortable to sweat and work out in.

Doesn't make me a hyocrite for saying that I don't care about clothing labels. If I found a shirt that didn't say Nike, but felt just as good for a workout and cost $10 less, I'd be all over it. It's OK for someone to like an outfit with a logo on it.
Draft saved Draft deleted