1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 87 degrees in my apartment...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Instead of fooling around with the unit and asking for money off the rent, just ask for a new unit. I had a problem with my refrigerator. It was like 30 years old and after the third repair (and tossing a bunch of food for the third time) I sent a letter saying I have contacted legal representation, they are in violation of the lease, yada, yada. Had a new unit THE NEXT DAY. Letter was not nasty, but let them knew I was pissed. Not mean, but let them know you aren't going to take it..

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

What makes you think I'm buying beers?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

YOU SAID YOU WERE!

And Brooklyn, they put in a new unit today (supposedly). I'll know in a couple hours. Once the fix on Friday didn't take, they tried again Saturday, then said they'd get a new unit. It went in this morning. So...hopefully I'm all good.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Once the sun goes down it will have a chance to recover.

Just set it at 68 or 70, you should be fine by morning.

5. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Eh, 87 is nothing.

It was 95 upstairs at my house a few weeks ago (this is with the AC running at 72). Finally had a guy come out to look at it. I need a new AC unit (really, two since he said the downstairs unit probably isn't far behind) but he poured some more freon in and said that should get me through the summer.

Oh, and a few years ago, I went on vacation. When I came back, I discovered the AC unit at the apartment I was in at the time had gone out at some point. The thermostat was maxed out - over 100.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

83 degrees in my house, and the AC is working fine.

Just prefer it a little warmer than most people. And having a fan blow on you and a cool drink by my side and a $60 utility bill beats a thermostat at 72 and a utility bill of $240.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Luckily I haven't had to turn on the AC yet. Before I moved earlier this year, my house last year was hotter than heck. Poorly insulated and the breaker kept tripping on the new AC unit. The landlord finally installed a delay circuit breaker after a few months.

8. imjustagirl

Holy shit, your electricity is $60 at 83 degrees? Mine's like $55 at about 75.

All is well here. It was cool by the time I got home at 5:30. Glorious.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had to run mine since May 1 -- God knows I tried to get through May without it, but that wasn't happening.
    May's bill was a shade over $200 and I keep it between 76-78 with a dehumidifier.

10. imjustagirl

Jeebus.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

well, it's also a full house and running gadgets like flat screen TVs, a Mosquito Magnet and bird bath fountain...

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We might be in serious trouble by not running A/C.

And for those who have ever had a dwelling of two levels or more when air doesn't work in the upper level, it's not an experience that's easy to describe. Let's just say that sleeping on a couch or floor on the lower level is a choice many would make every time. Between the sun baking the roof just above and what little cool air sinking to a level below, it's almost unbearable.

Draft saved Draft deleted