1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 3:25 a.m. and . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 6, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

More like Libby :D

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, one of the reasons the "paperboy" is no longer a major part of American life is probably because there really aren't any p.m. papers left out there. Delivering a route after school from 3-5 was just fine. But nobody wants their 12-year-old kid picking up his papers at 4 a.m. and delivering. It's all about motor routes now. And pretty much all the subscribers pay by check directly to the company now. I remember my paper route 30 years ago. Collection day was Thursday, so it always took about an hour longer to do the route then. Only had about 50 customers. A 70-customer route was a big one.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But back in the 80s a 12-15-year-old could do a morning route as well. The newspaper would drop the papers off at the carrier's house at 4-5 a.m., carrier would be on his bike at 6 a.m., and be done delivering the papers by 6:30 a.m. (at least on days when it wasn't raining or snowing it would work like that).

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

There's only three kinds of people out between 2-4 a.m.: Delivery people (papers, doughnuts, etc.), drunks, and people who are looking to make trouble. Never worried about the people at home when I delivered 50 papers for my weekday-pm, weekend-am paper as a 13-year-old.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's 3:25 a.m. here, at least according to my clock, and I don't have a paper.
    I'm bitter, because I am bored.

6. sportschick

Why are you bored?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Because there isn't a random thoughts thread.
    I have so many random thoughts from tonight to share and I am bitter.

8. sportschick

You could use this thread as a random thoughts thread.

Wouldn't bother me any. Might be fun even.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Could be fun, but might piss of the powers that be.
    Eyes Open by Snow Patrol is my new favorite CD.
    Fun with Dick and Jane (as posted on another thread) is a great social commentary.
    I beat Annika Sorenstam 5 up in a match play on Tiger Woods '07.
    I'm looking forward excessively to this week because pitchers and catchers report.
    I am just 1 month away from going to my first spring training and I am fired up.
    Just. Some. Random. Thoughts.

10. sportschick

I feel sorry for your wife if you're that pumped about spring training.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Actually, the pastor of our wedding - my dad - required her to say I do to becoming a Yankees fan to join the family - and she has.
    She likes baseball, though probably more for the tight pants than for the fact that the Yankees rule the world.
    I'm guessing she would like baseball to start so I wouldn't be so surly presently.

12. sportschick

I could never agree to become a Yankees fan, no matter how much I loved a boy.

That's like rooting for Sauron :D

Draft saved Draft deleted