1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 3:25 a.m. and . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 6, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

. . . I already have my paper.

So this is why I can't get late NBA/NHL boxes in for first edition!

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

and it's 4 degrees below zero and Voltron has just come on Cartoon Network ...

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll never understand that, as technology makes it easier and quicker to get a paper out, deadlines get earlier and earlier.

No West Coast paper should have deadlines so early that they miss a non-overtime box score. Ever.

4. sportschick

I like where FishHack was going! Funny!

Yea, deadlines have reached the brink of insanity. 3:35 is about two hours too early to be getting a paper. there's no reason deadlines couldn't be pushed back an hour or so, minimum.

The fact that papers have moved away from teenagers and toward adults who have a full-time jobs to deliver papers isn't helping the deadline situation.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

[​IMG]
    "We've got union drivers waiting out there, mister."

6. sportschick

:D

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Changed ... I had a picture from the movie before that apparently didn't work.

8. sportschick

Damn, and that's like the first time I've had fun with the quote function in months.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

That was funny ... I had a little laugh here.

10. sportschick

I try sometimes, FH, I really do.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I know ... I know. Although sometimes you say it best when you say nothing at all. However, I don't know if that would really work on here. You would just be eerily silent. Hey's it's 4:51 in the morning here, and I really don't know what I'm saying.

Carry on ...

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

It is ridiculous to get a paper at 3 a.m. I know in some cities, people start their commutes at 5 a.m., but I think another hour is at least feasible. Then again, I've never dealt with delivery people/drivers, whose influence on circulation is vastly underrated. One of the biggest complaints, I believe, from readers is not about the stories or the design or the photographs we all fret over. It's whether the delivery guy put the paper right on the driveway, in a big puddle or somewhere in the bushes.
    From what those people are paid, I'm sure they could give a shit less where it lands.

Draft saved Draft deleted