1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 2013, have you killed your MLB page yet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Surprised to see that Adam Dunn finished above it ... barely.

We're subscribing to "page-ready" agate (which really isn't, it requires some tweaking), so we'll still use agate while we're paying for it.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If your paper has a STATS package, and uses it on your website, everything would refresh on its own. Not sure what STATS costs.

3. T&C

T&C Member

The sports editor of our major daily wrote today that box scores will not run this season with the exception of the Toronto Blue Jays and admitted that he himself now read them on his iPad or computer either from the MLB site or team sites.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No calls today about our coverage of Monday's games, which included just two boxes.

I suspect it'll take a few days for it to register with some readers what we've done.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thinking your big feedback day will be Saturday or Sunday.

6. HejiraHenry

Maybe. We did adjust nicely tonight to get the near-perfect game box in as our "Featured Box Score."

7. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

We took it out, one or two readers complained, we were told to put it back in (that's standard operating procedure at my paper and how we're suddenly running crap agate like bowling, because of one reader calling in). But those weekend baseball stats are out again and won't be coming back.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Did the AP supply that Sunday agate? I don't ever remember seeing it run on our wire.

9. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Yes. If my memory serves me correctly, there was one version that would be updated through Thursday to run for Saturday, and a later version updated through Friday to run for Sunday.

10. HejiraHenry

I may be wrong, but I think that became something you had to pay AP extra for at some point.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The MLB app on the Ipad is very, very good, and it is free.

I am starting to go digital.

12. HejiraHenry

Second call we've gotten since opening day, this a V-Mail with no return number.

I'd estimate his age at 85, based on the message.

Draft saved Draft deleted